Chapter 99 (Lexi)

I have no idea what happened with Anthony last night, but one minute we are celebrating my getting a job at fashion week, and the next he's flipping out that he's a Made man and he can do what he wants, and blah blah.

He left after that and I haven't seen him since. I thought things were going smoothly. I was relieved that things were working out alright, but I guess that feeling was one sided. It wasn't working for him. I don't get why.

I'm not gonna sit here and wonder where he was last night. I'm not gonna worry that he was out with another woman. I'm not gonna ask questions. I refuse to be that girl. I knew what I signed up for when I agreed to marry Anthony instead of Enzo.

I knew he was someone I liked as a person. I knew that could get tricky, but I thought we were treading just fine.

I have more important things to worry about now that I am to work in the Chanel fashion show. Mia and I had a fitting today. I will be focusing on that and not where my goddamn husband is.

-

"Oh that looks great!" Mia's enthusiastic voice echoed through the spacious fitting room. I had like thirty people around me doing all sorts of things. I've done this kind of stuff before, so it doesn't feel different to me, aside from the fact that these are Chanel employees.

That'll be the biggest brand I've worked for thus far. Alonya is ecstatic about it. As ecstatic as that woman can get anyway. Which looks how people look when they botox their face and it reveals very little.

Karl wasn't here today. Us girls went through the motions of a fitting, we talked with some of the designers, and when all was said and done Mia and I decided to leave together and go somewhere to 'hang out' I guess. I don't really do hang outs, but Mia's been cool to me.

No more than twenty seconds after finding a quiet corner in the park did Mia turn to me and say, "Okay, what's the matter?" It surprised me, because I hadn't told her anything was wrong, and I definitely wasn't showing any unprofessional behavior during that fitting to lead her to believe anything was wrong.

Still she sat there in her designer halter dress, matching shoes and purse included, pushing up her sunnies while she waited for my response. She can make puke green look fashionable. That's impressive. I'm dressed on the opposite spectrum of all that.

"Nothing's wrong," I told her. She gave me this weird sympathetic look. "Call it a sixth sense, but I just know something is off," she told me. Well, shit. I didn't know what to say, so I looked around the park instead of her inquiring eyes.

Green eyes to match her green outfit. The park's green too. There's a lot of goddamn green here.

"I'm sure marriage is hard" she poked around to see if I'd bite. When I didn't she nudged me. "We're friends, Lexi. You can tell me anything" she told me, and I knew she was being genuine with me. The girl is very genuine, even with people like me who give very little in return.

"Anthony freaked out on me when he thought we were getting too 'comfortable' or something" I shrugged. "Freaked out? That doesn't sound like him. Explain" she waved me on. It sort of irked me that she'd said that like she knows him so well. How long were they a thing for? It couldn't have been too long...was it?

How well does Mia Fiore know my husband? I wonder.

I did give in and explain the situation the best I could from my side of it. I wasn't really sure what was going on with Anthony's side of things. I didn't realize we had an issue until he spoke out that way, so clearly we're seeing things differently.