Chapter 86 (Anthony)

"You what?" Alessandro gaped at me. I kept cracking my knuckles and rubbing my neck. I knew tonight everything was on the line for me. For her. "Are you outta your fucking mind?" He added for good measure. 

I was at Giana's place visiting the kid. Alessandro had been with her taking care of the baby, and when G left the room to feed baby Matteo I told Ale about the fight set up for tonight against Andrei.

        "What other choice did I have? It's the only way I could think of to save Lexi from this bullshit arrangement" I huffed. Alessandro gave me a funny look. "Why does that responsibility fall on you?" He asked me. Ah fuck. Of course that wouldn't make sense to him. He doesn't know my history with her.

"Because I've been there time and again while Enzo and her butt heads. They'll both be miserable and I don't want that for my cousin either" I bullshitted. I didn't mention him getting drunk and pushing her, but I had plenty of reasons to do what I did. I'm just hoping Lexi sees it that way.

It sounds bad when I say I 'won' her. I know she won't take kindly to that. Even if it is to save her from Enzo, it'll still be bargaining off her freedom, and taking her for myself in a damn bride swap.

        "Andrei has a reputation, Rizzo. He's a beast. And he's fucking nuts. Those aren't the type of men you wanna fight. He's gonna try and kill you" he told me like I didn't already know it. That's why I've been fidgeting all day. I'm anxious about this one. I'm trying to mentally prepare, but there is no way to prepare for it.

I can prep for a fight, sure. I do that all the time when I set up a fight for myself in the Underground. But this is an entirely different situation. This isn't two men fighting for fighting's sake. This has weight behind it. It has consequences within it. 

And my opponent is someone I'm not entirely sure I can beat. And Anthony Rizzo doesn't say that very often. I have no idea if I can beat Andrei Petrov in a bare knuckle fight to metaphorical death. Or at least I hope it's metaphorical. 

Christ. What have I gotten myself into?

        Alessandro leaned back on my cousin's sofa and released a breath through flapping lips. "I'll come tonight. For support" he told me finally. He knows he can't talk me out of this. "Does Enzo know?" He asked me next. I rubbed my jaw and shook my head no. Enzo was inside his house when I made this deal with the guys.

"You should tell him, Rizzo. Not just for support, but because you're trying to pouch the dude's wife" he called me out. I snorted. That's laughable. 

"It's not his wife. He doesn't give a fuck about her. Besides, Enzo and I are in a disagreement at the moment. Better I just leave him alone" I told him. I know Enzo is boiling somewhere with a very bruised face and jaw.

        I don't know what'll come of it, but I feel like this issue isn't just over. Not when I beat Enzo's ass like that. I've never done that to him before. All that has to sit on the back burner though. After tonight I'll face the rest. 

"Disagreement?" Alessandro raised a dark brow. I waved him off. "What are we fucking gossiping?" I deflected.

"Yeah, alright, whatever. Go eat your wheaties or find yourself some spinach popeye, cuz tonight you're gonna need it."

-

        I guess Alessandro is a fucking gossip because I think just about everybody showed up to the Underground tonight to watch this fight. They were all circled around me telling me I'm the best fighter they know, that I'm gonna beat his ass, and shaking my shoulders to get my blood pumping.