Chapter 54 (Anthony)

When we got to the safe house I expected to see the gates opening as the guards would do when seeing my car approaching from the small monitor that shows what all the cameras are seeing. The gate never opened. My heart was beating over time.

I skid my car to a stop and honked the horn. Then I kept down on the horn letting it beep long and loud. Nothing. A second later I recognized two more cars. Dom's and Enzo's. Enzo must've seen Dom leave in a hurry after I did and followed him because I never told Enzo what was happening.

"What the fucks going on?!" I heard Dom holler out when he jumped out of his car. 

"Gate's closed. No response from the guards" I shouted over my shoulder. I went up to the gate and tried looking at the lock to see if I could shoot it. It's not that type of lock. This is a safe house. The gate is solid and latches into a bolt on the frame of the archway. It's about 10 or 12 feet high as is the perimeter wall.

        "HEY! OPEN THIS FUCKING GATE" Dom shouted. "I'LL SLAUGHTER ALL OF YOU MOTHER FUCKERS. YOU STAY AWAY FROM MY GIRL" he seethed. "MIA! LEXI!" I started shouting too. For what? I don't know. I was hoping I'd hear them shout back so I'd at least know they're alive.

How the fuck have both our safehouses been compromised? We've failed as a system. It's unacceptable. We're the fucking mob for christ sake.

"BETTER TUCK YOUR TAILS AND RUN. I'M NOT AS SWEET AS THE ITALIANS YOU RAT BASTARDS" Andrei was shouting.

"I'm driving the car as close to the wall as I can. We'll have to jump over" I told the guys. Dom, Enzo, me, and Andrei...what a fucking group. Most of us hate each other. There was no time to think of anything other than go. Go to that wall. Go over it. Go to the girls. Murder everyone else.

         Andrei ended up being the one hopping into the driver's seat and moving the car, so that my mirror scratched along the wall, but the top of the car was as close as it was gonna get. I jumped on the hood and up to the roof. Dom was right behind me. 

We're tall, over 6 feet tall, so we could see over the wall now. Still there was a gap between the surface of the wall and the roof of the car we were standing on.

We heard glass smashing and I looked quickly at Dom. "Hoist me up, man" I tucked my gun tight into my holster and used my hands to try and brace myself when I pulled myself up on the top part of the wall. 

I felt Dom crouch down. I placed my foot in his hand and clawed at the wall when he shot me up. There wasn't much of a ledge for me to sit on. And the drop on the other side is a long one.

        "Fuck Dom, we're gonna break our fucking ankles before we even get to the girls" I cursed. "I don't care," I heard Dom say. He held an arm up for me to grab, so he could use his feet and other free hand to climb up the side of the wall to be on top like I am. 

"Open the gate for us when you get down," Enzo said from below us.

I turned my body so I could hold the edge of the ledge and drop most of my body down so the fall would be a short one. Thank god for working out because do you know how hard it is to hold the edge of a ledge when you try lowering your body down a cement wall? My fingertips were ready to burst with pressure.

        I dropped and Dom dropped beside me. I ran for the gate and slammed the button to open it, and then I ran alongside Dom. We took either side of the doorway and listened out. We can't run in guns blazing if we don't know where the girls are. 

Now we have nine guards here. Two to be posted in the front, two on the right side, two on the left, two in the back of the house, and one solo guy watching the monitors. So where the fuck is everyone?