14

"And you're sure it's good?," I hear the familiar Irish accent speak over the phone

"Yes dickhead. It's good," I respond, slightly annoyed.

"I just want to make sure there are no ulterior motives to Reyna joining the band."

"The fuck is that supposed to mean?," I practically shout and a couple of people look over at me. I'm currently sat on my bike in the NYU parking lot waiting for Reyna to come out.

"It means that I'm not sure if Reyna is really musically inclined or if you just have an extremely elaborate plan to get in her pants. I wouldn't put it past ya."

I sigh and run my free hand through my long hair and down my face.

"She is genuinely amazing Ni. I'm telling you. That song she wrote, it's not just good, it's incredible. You'll see today."

"If you say so mate. But remember, Zayn will have your head if anything goes on between the two of you. And not only that, it could break the band up if things go south."

I pull my lip between my fingers, "Yeah I know. We're just friends."

Niall stays silent for a moment, "Okay then."

At that moment I see Reyna walking up to me with a huge smile adorning her face, "I'll see you later Niall, bye."

"Bye," Niall says as I hang up the phone and stuff it in my pocket.

"Guess what," Reyna beams.

She leans her hands on the handles of my motorcycle and her body is leaned forward so we are closer than normal to each other.

"Hmm," I hum, "I'm not sure Miss Malik. Do you mind enlightening me?"

Reyna bites her lip, trying to hide her radiant smile. I can't help but smile back at her, even though I'm still clueless as to why she is smiling in the first place.

"Well you are looking at the highest scoring student in her statistics class Mr. Styles," Reyna says to me.

"Wait really?," Reyna nods to me, "What did you get?"

"A ninety four!," she exclaims.

I raise my hand up with a laugh and she high fives me, "See! I told you I'm an amazing teacher!"

Reyna rolls her eyes, "Of course you would make this about yourself."

I laugh out, "I'm a narcissist, what can I say?"

Reyna crinkles her nose and I add, "But really, I am proud of you."

She smiles sweetly to me, "So, what are we doing today?"

"Thinking I can give you another lesson on the bass and then we can show everyone The Exit," I respond.

Reyna nods, "Let's get going then."

Like every Monday, Reyna hops on my bike and I take the familiar route to the Malik's apartment complex. Once we get there, we take the elevator up to their apartment and make our way to the studio so Reyna can work on the bass. About an hour or so later, the rest of the band slowly make their way over to rehearsals and we have mindless conversation until we are all present.

"So Reyna," Louis speaks up, "I heard you have a song to show us."

Reyna looks at me with nervous eyes as she chews at the corner of her lips. I give her a small nod with a reassuring smile as I bend down to pick up my guitar.

"Whenever you're ready Rey," I whisper to her as she takes her place beside me on the couch.

She takes a deep breath and nods at me, giving me the go ahead to start playing. My fingers move skillfully across the guitar strings and a few moments later, Reyna starts singing. Throughout the song, the other three boys stare at her quietly and expressionless. It makes me nervous, so I cannot imagine the way Reyna must be feeling. That is why, when we finish the song, I reach across her to put the guitar down, and as I do so, sneak my hand onto her thigh to give her three encouraging squeezes. As I get up, I pull my hand back to avoid any of the other guys noticing.