4

I shut the door softly to Zayn's room, "You wanted to talk?," I question warily

Zayn seems tense and he's always had quite the temper. I'm not sure what could be wrong, but I wanna approach this as gently as possible.

"You were looking at Reyna a lot while playing that song," Zayn says with a clipped voice.

I arch my eyebrow and cross my arms, "You mean I was looking at our only audience member in the room while performing for her? Like everyone else was?"

"I wasn't. All I saw was you singing 'I want you to fuck me' to my little sister."

I throw my hands up with a big sigh, walking over to the bed and falling down on my back with my hands covering my face.

"Mate, it was nothing. You are reading too much into a short interaction with someone I meet, at most, two hours ago."

"And you're forgetting that I've known you for two years now. You'd fuck anything with a heartbeat, so I'm letting you know now, don't touch Reyna, she's just a kid."

"First of all," I hold up a number one with my finger, turning my head so my cheek is resting against the sheets, and I'm facing Zayn who is propped up against the headboard, "she's an adult and is capable of making her own decisions. And two, I have more self control than you may think. Haven't fucked you yet and you have a heartbeat."

Zayn throws one of his pillows at me and I catch it laughing, "Take the piss, you know what I mean. And no she can't make decisions for herself, they're always shit. So just promise me you won't try anything with her, I don't want to see her heart broken and I don't think I would ever be able to look at you if I knew you were hooking up with my little sister."

"Did all the boys get this talk or am I just special?," I ask.

"I told everyone," Zayn nods, "but I feel like I need to put some emphasis on you, especially with how you were looking at her while playing Rock Me."

I groan, "I told you it's nothing! Can't you just trust me?"

Zayn pauses for a beat, "Okay then, I trust you."

"Does that mean I can't talk to her?," I question, wanting to know how far Zayn's protective nature runs.

"No," he sighs, "I think you guys could actually be good friends, and I want her to not be alone while being here. So as long as you promise nothing will go on, I'd really like if you can make her feel welcome, maybe even introduce her to a couple of your friends."

"I promise nothing will go on between Reyna and I. I was supposed to hang out with Jazzy tomorrow, I'm sure she'd be excited to meet Reyna, so you two can tag along if you want."

"To then worry about, not just one but two people wanting to hook up with my little sister? No thanks, Jazzy is just as bad as you are."

"I thought you said you trust me!," Zayn just shrugs so I scoff and continue, "and besides you just said that you wouldn't want me with Reyna cause it'd 'ruin our friendship' and I'd 'break her heart'. You're not good enough friends with Jasmine to ruin a friendship and she's a lot smarter than me, she won't be breaking any hearts. Are you planning on keeping the entire New York population away from your sister?"

"I guess not it's just," he takes a deep breath, "I've seen her get severely fucked over in a relationship before, if I could protect her from that again, I'm gonna try."

"Like I said earlier, she's an adult, she can make her own decisions. You can't protect her forever."

"I know, it's just hard to come to terms with that," Zayn replies softly.

After talking with Zayn a bit more, I head home and in no time, am walking through the door of my one room studio apartment. I feel a furry creature rub against my leg and I look down to see the black and white cat.

"Hey Livvy girl," I coo as I pick up the small cat.

She melts into my arms and purrs as I scratch behind her ears. I kick the door shut and walk to the tiny piano that is pushed into the corner, placing her on the top so she is sprawled out.

"Okay, let's try to finish this song up babe," I mutter to Livvy, spreading out the sheet music up on the music stand.

Just stop your crying it's the sign of the times.
Welcome to the final show, hope you're wearing your best clothes.
You can't bribe the door on your way to the sky,
You look pretty good from here but you ain't really good,

I start feeling the heavy weight on my chest that warns me that tears are on the way, but I push through it and start the pre chorus.

If we never learn, we been here before,
Why are we always stuck and running from,
The bullets
The bullets
We never learn, we been here before,
Why are we always fucking running from,
The bullets
The bullets

I press down on the keys a bit more.

Just stop your crying it's the sign of the times
We gotta get away from here
Just stop you crying it'll be alright
They told me that the end is near,
We gotta get away from here.

My voice starts getting louder, and it's getting harder and harder to fight off the inevitable tears.

We don't talk enough.
We should open up.
Before it's all too much.

I think back to the times when I would get a call from her, and think that I'll just answer later. How there was so much she didn't tell me, but maybe it's cause I never listened.

Will we ever learn?
We've been here before
It's just what we know.
Stop your crying, baby
It's a sign of the times
We got to get away
We got to, we got to away

I belt out the last note and slowly press the final keys of the piano with tears streaming down my face.

I pick up Livvy and she snuggles into my chest, "Yeah I miss your mum too, Livvy bug."

As I walk to my bed I pass a yellow urn that has lived in my apartment for 3 months now, "Goodnight Gem."

//
Song: Sign of the Times- Harry Styles
If anyone is wondering, Livvy was actually Gemmas cat that recently passed away. I just... switched the roles. Remember this is all fiction and Gemma is alive and well and I feel really bad about Livvy's passing.

Via Anne's IG post

Via Anne's IG post