READINESS IS ALL

A storm is rolling in

A storm is rolling in. That means total chaos in the hospital. It also means no one gets sleep.

Owen was giving the entire staff a rundown. "This storm will bring in a lot of casualties. We're gonna need to make room for them, so let's discharge all patients that can be. Post-op and long-term patients are gonna be transferred to Seattle Pres further inland. We're gonna bring in supplementals- water, food, meds, lighting. We're gonna be checking and refueling the backup generators. As for you surgeons, push, postpone, or cancel all elective procedures until after this storm."

I was about to turn to Jackson and say something to him about cancelling surgeries but Alex came up behind me. "Florence, I need your help with something. Come with me."

I turned to look at his face and it was full of worry. I looked to Jackson and shrugged before following where Alex led me to.

"What's going on?" I asked as he led me on a wild goose chase.

"I brought him in a few hours ago. He had a C.T. I wanted to wait for you." He said and moved to curtain to reveal a man all bandaged and banged up on the bed. "You gotta help him."

I shared a worried look with Alex before seeing the patient. I took the chart and saw exactly who it was. I didn't recognize him.

"It's Chest Peckwell. I mean, Jason Myers." He added.

My eyes widened as I inspected the dilation of his eyes. Delayed. This is not good.

"Alex, what the hell did you do? I was kidding when I said to beat him up!" I demanded.

"I-I didn't do it." He replied. I narrowed my eyes at him. He brings in Peckwell, the man who is sleeping with the girl he is in love with, all bloodied and bruised, and expects me to believe he didn't do this? He saw the disbelief on my face. "I didn't! I found him like this!"

"Well, the storm hasn't started yet, Alex! Unless he ran into a wall over and over, he didn't just stumble in like this."

"Look, I don't know details, Florence. All I know is that Jo came to me sobbing with a bruised eye. He was like this when I got to him." He replied and threw up his arms.

I took a deep breath. "Where is she? Is she okay?"

He nodded. "She's at my house."

"Why didn't you get Derek?" I asked him.

"He'd ask too many questions." He replied simply.

I sighed. "I'll deal with Peckwell, but I need you to do a few things for me. I need you to tell Derek the sparknotes version of what happened because he is the Chief of Neuro. He is my boss. I can't do this in secret. At least not to him. Then I need you to get me Heather Brooks for an intern. Don't look at anyone else. Don't talk to anyone else. Do you understand me?"