SONG BENEATH THE SONG

I never understood how life can change in a second

I never understood how life can change in a second. How one second I'm eating my lunch and the next, one of my closest friends is being rushed to the hospital after a car accident. Callie was in a car accident.

We all stood outside waiting for the ambulance to arrive. Meredith is the one who broke the news to Mark, who was in surgery at the time. When he was out, he came running out to the ambulance bay where the rest of us are waiting. Callie and Mark are two peas in a pod. I know this has to be traumatic for him. She's also carrying his child.

"What the hell happened?" He asked, frantically.

"Car versus truck. That's all we know." Owen replied.

"And her injuries? What- the baby?" Mark pressed.

"We don't know yet." Derek replied.

"Well, why the hell don't you know? Someone get me a trauma gown." Mark demanded. Oh, god.

"Mark, you need to sit this one out." Webber told him.

"I'm not sitting this one out. That's Callie. That's my kid!" Mark urged. All the reason he can't be involved.

"Which is why you can't. I'm sorry. You can't be a doctor on this one." Webber told him empathetically.

"Screw you." Mark muttered and looked down.

"Sloan..." Owen tried.

"Screw all of you." Mark raised his voice and put a trauma gown on anyway.

"Look at me, Sloan. Look at me. Maybe I don't understand what you two have, how you have it, but I understand this, she is your family. Callie Torres and that baby are your family, and the best way that you can help your family is to step back and let the rest of us do what you can't rationally do- save their lives."

Mark seemed to visibly calm down, a little. Barely.

"I'm in the room, you hear me?" Mark told Webber. Webber just nodded.

The ambulance pulled up and Mark went running to it.

"Hunt, you're in charge." Webber called.

Owen ran up to the vehicle. "Alright, everyone. Multiple blunt trauma protocol. Let's go."

The doors opened and Arizona got out. She is covered in blood. I'm not sure whose it was. "Tachycardic and hypotensive en route. Obvious head and chest injuries."

When I finally saw how badly Callie's state was, I felt like I could throw up. She is covered in blood. This is one way you never want to see your friends. It's heartbreaking.

She couldn't speak. She tried but she couldn't. She was looking around frantically, but she couldn't form any words.

I looked over to see her again. Fuck. "She's hemorrhaging." I called out.