HARD BARGAIN

After the bomb Callie just unloaded on us, we took this conversation to Meredith and Derek's house

After the bomb Callie just unloaded on us, we took this conversation to Meredith and Derek's house. I did not say anything to Jackson about any of this. Just that they needed my help with something, and it appears they might with this insane idea.

It was Callie, Arizona, Derek and Meredith standing in the living room. We were trying to contact Cristina, but she wasn't answering. Zola and Sofia are peacefully sleeping.

"I am telling you, once we got these doctors talking, it was a horror show." Callie exclaimed.

Arizona shushed her. "I just got Sofia back down."

Callie kept going, just quieter. "Oh, and uh, Portland Gen has quotas now." She said and handed us a pamphlet. "Yeah, it's unspoken, but it's understood that you have to churn out a certain number of procedures."

This is when she got my attention. As I read the pamphlet I noticed one crucial thing missing. "And no research?" I asked.

"Nope. Pegasus' only interested in high-volume, high-price-tag procedures. Barely any patient interaction. So no research, no innovation, no opportunity to do what it is we got into medicine to do." Callie continued.

I passed the paper around to the others. "Well, we won't let that happen to us here." Derek tried to reason.

"Oh, yeah? That's what they said at first. And then the people that fought management got fired, and the rest wore down or they left. Now I don't want to leave. None of us do. You guys, come on. We have to do this. We have to buy the hospital." Callie went on. My eyes widened again. The thought of buying something like that....

"Woah, hold on." Derek tried.

"Maybe she's right." Meredith added.

"I don't know." I let out. That is an investment. A big one.

"Just wait. What if we don't want to?" Arizona asked. Callie looked like she was hit by a train. Like it was a never an idea for Arizona to raise that point.

"W-What-" Callie started.

"I'm sorry, but it's never been my dream to run a hospital." Arizona replied.

"Okay, well, you might not have to run it." Callie argued.

Mer and I were blowing up Cristina's phone.

Derek looked over to us. "Cristina should be here."

I held up my phone. "What do you think I'm trying to do?"

"I just got back to work. Florence, you just had a baby who is almost ready to come home, you shouldn't have to worry about running a hospital. And Derek, you just got your hand back, don't you want to just work?" Arizona rambled. She had a point.

"Work where? I don't want someone telling me which patient I can treat." Callie argued.

"Or putting a stopwatch on how much time you can spend with them." Meredith added.