Chapter 134: Something Happened

Bắt đầu từ đầu

But maybe this year it would finally be my turn.

I always tried my hardest to find the perfect outfit to catch their attention, and year after year it never failed. Jake would bring another new girl home, even more done up and beautiful than the last, and Josh and I would end the night around the Christmas tree with nothing more than gifts to each other that you would only get your "friend."

All I wanted was to finally spend the holidays with my boyfriend, and this year.. I was going to.

"You hungry?" Jake asked, leaning down closer to me. I nodded, grabbing onto his arm, laying my head on his shoulder again as he lead us down the sidewalk, peeking into the windows of every shop we passed.
"It'll be like our first date all over again." He giggled, finally stopping at a diner on the corner.

And he ordered us the same thing we had that morning, a bowl of fruit for me, and a plate of waffles for him, drenched in syrup, topped off with whipped cream. He peeked up at me from over his towering plate of his sugary morning dessert.
"What?" He asked, a giddy smile escaping his lips. I shook my head, staring back at him, unable to contain my lovestruck grin.
"Nothing." I sighed. "You're just.. so cute." He instantly brought his attention back down to his plate, trying to hide his blushing face.
"Eat your fruit." He joked, eventually patting the spot next to him. I didn't hesitate to make my way over, sliding in close.

Between flirtatious glances and the occasional kiss or two, we took turns feeding each other fork fulls from our plates, both sweet in their own way.
"Hey, um.." I started, now giggling to myself as he leaned in, kissing the remaining whipped cream from my lips. "Do you think that.. you guys will be home in time for the holidays?" He moved away, staring back at me for a moment.
"I think we will be." He said, his smile growing. "Why?" I shrugged, taking another bite from his plate. He gently turned my chin back to face him, leaning into another gentle kiss.

"I just.. I don't know, I was just thinking today.. you know, with everything going on.."
"What would you want to do?"
"I just.. I wanted to spend them with you." I could see his eyes light up as his smile grew.
"I want to spend them with you too. So.. I'll make sure it happens." He said softly, now gently running his fingers up and down my arm. I could feel my heart beating faster at the slightest hint of his touch.
"Because.. well.. I've never had a boyfriend to celebrate with."
"Well, I'd be honored to be the first." I nodded, peeking up at him.

"And well, since you brought it up, what do you want for Christmas?" He asked. I shook my head, giggling to myself.
"We've still got plenty of time for that, I was just wondering-"
"Come on, what do you want?" He joked. I shrugged again, avoiding his eyes.
"Nothing." I heard him sigh.
"That's just what people say as a test, what do you really want, Jaime? If you could have anything.. what would it be?"

I stopped and thought about it, realizing that what I wanted couldn't be wrapped up in a box and placed under a tree, no matter how many hints left or letters written.

"Okay.." I sighed. "All I've ever really wanted.. well, I just.. there's just something I've always imagined, and-"
"What is it?" He asked eagerly. "Whatever it is, I can do that for you." I bit down on my lip, trying my best to contain my smile, despite how embarrassing it truly felt, wanting something so simple, but.. something so meaningful to me.

"I just.. every year, I always imagine.. on Christmas Eve, after everyone's gone to bed, and.. the only thing that's left is the glowing of the Christmas tree and it just.. I want that moment there.. that moment alone. And I always imagined it would feel.. magical, that moment with the one you love.." He then leaned in, gently caressing my face as he pulled me into a long kiss.
"Then I'll be there." He sighed, leaning his forehead against mine. "But.. what's something I can get you?" I shook my head, bringing my attention back to our plates.

"You've gotten me enough." I muttered, taking another bite. I heard him sigh.
"You're just gonna make me guess then, huh?" I nodded, peeking up at him.
"Okay then fine." He laughed. "I'm sure I can figure something out on my own."

And honestly, that's all I really wanted. Whatever he thought I would love, chances are, I would, despite how wrong he was about my drink order..

"What about you?" I asked. "What do you want?"
"You don't have to get me anything, Jaime." He said softly.
"See, you can't give me a hard time, and then say that." He giggled to himself, keeping his eyes down on his plate. But I think deep down it was because he knew I really couldn't afford to get him anything nice. But that didn't mean I wouldn't try.

"Jaime, you're all I've ever wanted. So.. if I get to wake up on Christmas morning and you're there.. then that's the best thing you could ever give me. And.. maybe.. if this year, I could finally catch you under the mistletoe, well.. then that wouldn't be so bad either." My heart jumped, a giddy grin escaping my lips.

Had he always been waiting for me too?

"I always waited for you." I said softly. He smile grew.
"I don't think you have any idea how jealous I was.. of the amount of time alone you and Josh had during our holiday parties. I always wondered if you two.. well.. I'd spend practically the entire night.. lingering a little longer than usual under it, just hoping you'd show up and catch me. But.. you never did."

"And.. what would you have done if I did?" I asked, especially considering he always had a girlfriend. All of this was so much easier said than done now. He was quiet for a moment, holding his stare on me.
"I would've kissed you, Jaime." My heart jumped.
"Even despite the fact that-"
"You are my exception.. to everything." He said softly, but oh so surely. I could now feel my entire body getting hot, my heart beating faster the longer he stared at me like that. I turned away, bringing my attention back to our plates.

"You never showed up for me either." I muttered.
"We must've kept missing each other."
"Well, now you know that I'll be waiting for you." He nodded, staring back at me with those same dazed eyes.
"Well, now you know I'll always be there."

Later That Night

Jake quickly guided me through backstage, making our way into the wings where I could hear the rest of the guys sound-checking. It was amazing how even just messing around, they could sound so beautiful. It was how I knew they were always meant to do this. They couldn't sound bad if they tried.

He pulled me into a quick kiss before grabbing his guitar and joining them out on the stage. I hung back, just admiring him, admiring all of them, so happy that even for just a few days, I was able to get to see them like this, after all those years in the garage, for them to finally start getting the recognition they deserve.

I then felt my phone vibrating in my pocket, which I thought was strange, considering anyone I ever talked to was already here. Pulling it out, my heart sunk when I saw Aunt Dianne's name across the top. I answered immediately.

"Hello?"
"Jaime, hi, it's me." She said, already sounding breathless and panicked.
"Hi, what's going on? Is she okay?"
"Something happened, they're bringing her into surgery now, I'm here at the hospital now, when can you get home?"