14

—Amaimon's POV—
Dad and Uncle Mel wouldn't leave Mom's side. They were barely eating, barely sleeping. We learned from Aunt Elizabeth they were taking it really hard when she told them what caused Mom's illness. She was still unconscious, it'd been four days now. Aunt Elizabeth wasn't sure how long it'd take for her to wake up. I slowly opened the door to bring them some breakfast. Uncle Mel was sleeping, finally, with his head resting on the bed sitting in a chair next to it, likely unintentionally. Dad was awake, but barely, his eyes kept trying to close but he was fighting it. "Dad...you need to sleep. Mom wouldn't want you two beating yourselves up like this. And what if Arthur comes next time? We're gonna need your and Uncle Mel's help..." I whispered, sitting the food down next to him on the bedside table. He ignored me, like he had been anytime I suggested he sleep voluntarily.

"You're so fucking stubborn, Dad! Just fucking listen to someone besides Mom for once! You're making yourselves sick and that's going to make her sad when she wakes up! Do you want her to be sad?" I couldn't hold it in anymore, I was frustrated watching him do this to himself. Uncle Mel was so exhausted he didn't even budge from my shouting. Dad finally looked at me, tears were pouring from his green eyes, shocking me. I couldn't ever remember seeing him cry. "I'm sorry, Amai. But I'll never forgive myself for this. Since I met your Mom, I've dedicated my life to protecting her...and because of me...she almost...twice now..." he choked out. I stood next to him and hugged him, his face against my chest, his tears soaked my shirt as he quietly sobbed. "Dad...Mom loves you so much. More than any of us, and don't argue with that. We know she loves us too...but you're so special to her. She doesn't want you to hurt yourself over this, I know it," I whispered, trying my best to comfort him.

It was strange being in the opposite role. I felt helpless and he looked like a small child in my arms like this. It made me smile just a little though, I was happy I could be there for him. "How about I sit here with Mom and you sleep, would that make you feel better?" I asked him. He nodded against me, getting up and laying on one of the small cots Elizabeth had had setup in the room for them. With how exhausted Uncle Mel was as well, I felt confident he wouldn't wake up as I picked him up and put him in the other cot next to Dad. I sat down and held Mom's hand, listening to Dad and Uncle Mel snoring softly. Dad had fallen asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. I looked over at them, they looked like kids themselves right now. "Wake up soon, Mom. Dad and Uncle Mel are killing themselves with guilt and I don't know how to get them to stop. Dad just sobbed against me, I've never seen him cry at all. Mira and Rin need you...we all need you," I told her quietly.

I felt Astaroth coming, he came in the room as quietly as he could. He sat across from me and looked at Dad and Uncle Mel. "How'd you get them to go to bed?" he asked. I smiled softly, "Uncle Mel was passed out over there. I moved him to the cot. I even yelled at Dad and he didn't budge." He furrowed his brows, "Why'd you yell at him?" I sighed heavily, "He was sitting here trying his damndest not to fall asleep. They're killing themselves because they feel guilty and Mom would hate that. Asta...he cried while I held him. I think it was a lot more serious than they told us," tears stung my own eyes. He looked at Mom, tears started falling down his cheeks, "We're a mess without you, Mom. Please wake up soon," he choked out. We sat in silence for who knows how long before Uncle Mel started to stir, eventually groaning and sitting up.

"Go back to sleep, Dad," Astaroth told him sharply. He scoffed, "You're not the boss of me, Asta," he grumbled groggily. I turned and glared at him, "We've got it covered, Uncle Mel. Just sleep for fuck's sake. Stop being a pain the ass," I scolded him. He glared back, "Okay, Zeldris." Astaroth giggled, "He's right, that was all Uncle Zel right there." I rolled my eyes, "Whatever, seriously though. I already yelled at Dad. Mom will hate that you two aren't taking care of yourselves. We'll sit with her. You sleep." He flopped back with his hands behind his head, "Your Mom was the only one that ever noticed I was unhappy. Lonely. I can't lose her. She's everything to me. She gave me hope that life didn't have to just be mindless killing. She gave me most of my kids..." his voice trailed off as he fell back asleep. We smiled at each other, "I hope one day I feel that way about someone," I murmured. Astaroth hummed in agreement.