Chapter 64 (Lexi)

Start from the beginning

"Because he feels weird about it and so do I. You're gonna marry him, Lex, as much as you and I both pretend that isn't true. You'll be living with him and making a life with him. Maybe not a traditional life a husband and wife make, but I don't fit in that equation, Lex" he gave me a bullshit excuse. 

        "You think Enzo's not going to be out fucking girls and living his life? So what? Only the woman has to stop living hers? She's gotta sit at home like a pathetic housewife and wait for her shitty husband to get home? Fuck that" I cursed him.

"I'm not saying that, sweetheart. But hear me out here. It's not just for his benefit. He's worried for our safety" he added crap to the pile of bullshit. I laughed. I couldn't help it. 

"Just say you don't wanna carry on with me, Rizzo. Don't make these lame excuses that we could both get around. If Enzo covered for us we'd be able to see each other all the time. Ever think of that?"

        Anthony rubbed at his eyes and he suddenly looked so tired. I know he called me to end a shitty day on a good note, but that soured fast. "Lexi," he sighed. I just shook my head. "Don't. I know you've had a shitty week, and I don't think this conversation is gonna turn things around for you, so let's say goodnight here" I told him. 

I couldn't read the expression that came across his face because it happened all too quickly and then he immediately took control of it. Smoothed it out.

"We both knew this was over, Lexi...so why are you pissed about it right now?" He asked instead of taking my advice to hang up. His voice wasn't angry though, it was calm and even. He was genuinely asking. I ran my hand through my hair and let the strands fall forward. 

"Sorry, I got into a little thing with Andrei earlier and then this just.. Sorry, nevermind. I know it's done" I told him. Why am I acting like this? I've never acted like this? Makes me gag at myself.

        When I mentioned my brother Anthony's brows creased. "What happened? Did he come home mad? Did he take it out on you?" He asked, quickly, one question after the other. "Huh? No. We had a fight" I clarified. 

"He didn't get violent, did he? Did he mention something to you about tonight?" He surprised me with the question. "What?! No he didn't hit me or something. What happened tonight? Obviously you know something I don't" I pointed out. Anthony's face cleared. "Nothing, never mind. Nothing" he waved it off.

I don't care to know about their business stuff, which I assume is what he's referring to, so I didn't ask. I let it go. If Andrei was angry before he got home, by the time I saw him tonight he was fine. So whatever it was, it wasn't serious.

        "Lexi," Anthony said my name in a way that made my thighs clench. I stayed looking at him and he looked to have something on the tip of his tongue. "What you said earlier...me not wanting you...not true. I'm just trying to make peace with a very screwed up situation. We can't...I shouldn't even call you like this. I'm giving you mixed signals. I can admit to it" he told me.

"Is this a 'we can be friends' speech?" I asked him. My temper had calmed down. "It's gonna be hard to be your friend. But yes, we can be" he told me. I wanted to roll my eyes. How can we be friends when I wanna take this man's clothes off every time I look at him? When I'm in the same room as him I wanna climb that man like a tree.

        "Well then friend, you've forced my hand...I'm gonna start talking about the book I'm reading," I warned him. He granted me that deep chuckle I like. I needa stop liking things about Anthony Rizzo.

"Oh please do. Tell me everything. What's the title?" He asked me, settling in on his side so it looked like we were laying side by side. I laid down the same way and started talking. Side by side. 

"Well...it's called The Great Alone. It's about a girl and her family, father with ptsd, and mother who lets him get away with more than she should, kinda abusive to her, anyways they try for a clean start in Alaska, I'm talking-middle of nowhere-Alaska, right?.." And I continued on and on...and Anthony...he listened.

-

        I had just come home from a casting, so I was still in the foyer when my phone went off. I saw it was a message from Enzo, who hasn't texted me since the day I got his number when Anthony called from it. Even stranger there was a video attachment. 

I kicked off my shoes and it was like a vulture swooping down for a dead carcass, suddenly my shoes were in Magdalena's hands. "I-put-away Miss Petrov" the heavily accented woman said to me.

"Oh geez, where'd you come from. Uh, Magdalena you don't have to do all that" I waved her off. She just stared blankly at me then gave me a polite nod and went up the stairs to put my shoes away anyway. "Uh..k, thanks" I called after her. Then I opened the video Enzo sent me.

        It starts with the camera slightly shaky, but then you see Giana come into view just as she's saying, "Enzo, can you keep the damn thing still" with a huff. Her brother pops his head into the camera and says, "Hey Lexi" then quickly spins it back around to her. She's glaring by then.

"Lexi, take a look at this" Giana says into the camera before I pick up on the fact that the two of them are in the woods. Sure enough she pulls up a handgun and aims.

"Enzo, go closer so she can see the target" she starts bossing her brother around. "No fuckin way. Then I'll end up the target. You aren't that good yet" he messes with her. She flips him off and I can tell he's chuckling. 

"I'll zoom in," he compromises. "Whatever, lets go" Giana gets into the zone. Then Tink, she shoots over a can on the first try. I cheered her on as if she could hear me through the video.

I got a glimpse of a wide proud smile and she pretends to blow smoke off the end of her gun. I chuckled as the video ended there. I texted Enzo back right away. 

        *Me: WOOHOO, we got a regular ol' Clint Eastwood on our hands* with some silly emojis. He sent some stupid emojis back and that was that. *Me: Send Giana my number please.* I found myself saying.

I don't usually do that, but I figured if she wanted to reach out to me for lessons and everything then she should save my number. I'd reached out to her when I told her my original idea about teaching them, but she clearly didn't save my number if she was reaching out to me through her brother.

Mia has no problem sending me texts. She'll send me random things sometimes. I can tell she's making an effort to be my friend and help me fit in. It's an appreciated effort. 

        My phone chimed and distracted me again. It was Enzo. *Enzo: Will do. See you at dinner.* I stared at the message for a minute. Dinner? Am I forgetting something? No, we definitely never made plans to meet up for dinner. I texted back some question marks and he responded, *Enzo: At your dad's?*

If dumbfounded was a face I just made it. What on god's earth is this man talking about? 

"Otets? Otets?" I started calling out for my father. A voice carries very easily in this large vast home. "WHAT" I heard him holler from the hall upstairs. I took the stairs two at a time to make it onto the landing just as he left his room. He was annoyed by my shouting.

"Dinner?" Was all I said. I figured he'd fill in the blanks. 

        "Yes. The Rizzo family will be dining with us. So brush your hair" he shook his head at my carelessly done hair. "Why?" I scoffed. "Because Aleksandra, civilized people brush their hair" he glared at me. I rolled my eyes. "No. Why are they coming for dinner?" I clarified. 

My father straightened his shirt. "We'll be family soon enough. Shouldn't we know them just a little bit better?" He asked me sarcastically. He wants to suss them out for business reasons. Fine.

"Yes, otets, I agree. I would have liked to have known the man I am taking my sacred vows with" I nodded along with him in mock agreement. Before he could swing, spit, or swear I dashed back down the stairs and rounded a corner before I heard the echo of one of the three.