𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢

𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢. 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚟𝚢

The boat felt familiar.

She had been on one of these for most of her career, but this time it felt different. This boat was filled with people she really cared for. Not that she hadn't cared for others in past deployments, it's just she never had the chance to get to know the rest of her team like this. It scared her to think she could possibly lose someone on this team.

Stop. Bhavika scolded herself.

She needed to stop overthinking and focus on the mission. She took a few deep breaths and inhaled the salty sea air.

"It's been a while hasn't it?" Speed said from behind her.

"It's been nearly a year for me." Bhavika turned around and looked at the admiral.

"It's been nearly six for me. I've been avoiding it, for too long but it feels nice to be back."

"I can understand. I didn't want to be deployed again after McQueen died. Every time I flew I saw plane going down and I would have a panic attack. I took a break for about three months, but I missed it too much and I came back." She explained and Speed nodded.

"I was selfish in a way. I only thought of myself when my team, you, were also suffering and I'm sorry for that." Speed apologized.

"Everyone grieves in different ways, whether in death or not." Speed put a hand on her shoulder.

"I care for you a lot Patel, I was your mission leader and I failed you once, but I swear it won't happen again." She promised.

"You could never let me down." Bhavika smiled softly.

"Come on its time for mission preparations." Speed returned to her normal admiral self and Bhavika followed behind.

They strolled into the control room and others trickled in slowly, but eventually they all got there.

"Well, the day has come." Speed started. "You guys have trained for this day for the past two months. There will be no mistakes and no do overs this time, this is the real thing. I've put my complete and total trust in you to complete this mission." Her stern words filled the room and everyone seemed solemn. "Coyote, Harvard and Yale you will be the spares to our main squadron. Be prepared. Maverick do you have anything?"

"Yeah just a few things." Maverick stepped forward. "I've known all of you for a while now. Some longer than others, but nonetheless I know all of you are capable. This will be hard, but I know you can do it I've seen it with my own two eyes. I don't want to be sending your parents my condolences. Be smart up there. You all know what you have to do, so go do it and do it well." Maverick concluded.

"Let's run over the mission one more time." Speed flipped through her notes. "Rooster, Phoenix and Bob you will be taking out the base you have 2 minutes and thirty seconds to do so, Rooster defend them." Rooster, Phoenix and Bob all nodded in acknowledgment. "Siren, Hangman, Fanboy and Payback keep the enemy planes from getting to Pearl Harbor. Rooster, Phoenix and Bob join them once you have taken out the base. Do you got it?"

"Yes." Everyone replied and Speed ticked everything off of her checklist.

"That's everything. Lift off is in thirty minutes, get ready." Speed dismissed them and everyone dispersed.