XIX.

"Hey man," Alex said when Zayn entered the basement.

"Hey," Zayn responded.

"You can crash on the couch, hope it's fine with you," Liam said.

"Ye-yes. It's alright," Zayn said.

"You'll have to pitch in for food and stuff. I mean, you understand we don't have much," Liam explained.

"Sure," Zayn said. He just has some money that he saved when he was working with Mr. Jenkins but it won't last much if he's planning to live by himself. He'll have to find another job.

"Are you still going to school?" Liam asked and he nodded.

"Ye- yes. Maybe I can find some other job. I- I'm planning to finish school and apply for some colleges," Zayn said and Liam and Alex laughed.

"Man, that costs a lot of money which I think you don't have right now," Alex said.

"Don't listen to him, do you want something to drink? We don't have sodas, only beer and some pizza leftovers from yesterday," Liam said and Zayn sat on the couch.

"It's okay," He said hesitantly and Liam handed him the bottle. His mouth was dry and he was thirsty. He drank the amber liquid fast and as soon as it hit his system he was feeling more relaxed.

"Man, we need to... to run some errands. You can stay here and make yourself at home, alright?" Liam said patting his shoulder.

"Ye-yes. Thanks." Zayn said.

"Here, finish it up, if you want, " Liam nodded and gave him a joint, and left the place. Alex nodded and followed him.

"Okay," Zayn said. He sat on the couch contemplating the rolled paper between his fingers. The smell was peculiar and he didn't exactly like it. But he remembered how relaxed he felt the last time he smoke it and he decided to give it a go again.

He finished the joint and he was feeling so good. Nothing was hurting that much.
**************

"Zayn... dear, I'm home. I have good news," Cecile said leaving the shopping bag on the kitchen counter and going to check Zayn's room.

The lights were off. She found the bed made but some things out of place and she began to pick them up when she noticed that the closet was opened and some clothes were missing. Zayn doesn't have much.

"Oh... what...?" She whispered to herself. She noticed that also his old backpack and his wooden box by the lamp weren't there either.

She sat on the bed watching everything around feeling her stomach sink.

Zayn left.

She started to cry and wondered what could've happened for him to do that.
Everything looked alright in the morning, she couldn't find a reason. He left his sketchbook on the bed and she opened it.

Zayn draws everything new for him, the store, the building across the street, an ice rink, Central Park, the bakery, and a boy with a pink beanie smiling at him.

"Harry..." she smiled when she saw it, the first of many and she decided to close the book. They were like Zayn's private thoughts, like his son's diary.

She went to the kitchen and grabbed the phone.

"Anne? It's Cecile," She said.

"Oh! Hi, Cecile," Anne said.

"It's Harry around? I need to talk to him very quickly, please," She said.

"Sure, is everything alright?" She asked her noticing her worried voice.