VII.

"I'm sorry I'm late Mr. Jenkins. I didn't see the hour," Zayn said apologizing.

"Young man, you have a responsibility. What you were doing, some work for school?" Mr. Jenkins asked seriously.

"Erm... I- I made a promise to my best friend to see him on my birthday at the public library. And I..." he was saying.

"Why you didn't say that earlier?" Mr. Jenkins asked.

"Erm... it wasn't important. My best friend get out of the system a year ago and... we promised to see each other today. It won't happen again," Zayn said.

"It is important, you could've invited your friend over. Next time just let me know. This city is so big and... you know how things are around here. Hurry up, let's close up, we have to make a stop on our way home," Mr. Jenkins said smiling.

"Okay, " Zayn said.

They finished everything and they left the store.

"And how was your friend doing, Zayn?" Mr. Jenkins asked him while walking through the streets.

"Not good, I think. He didn't say it, but I could tell. I told him to go to the store, maybe he can help you while I'm at school," Zayn said.

"Mmh, I don't have anything for him. But we can figure it out. Come on, this is the place," Mr. Jenkins said opening the door of the business and a delicious smell hit them.

They were looking around when someone from behind the counter of the bakery greeted them.

"Hi, how can I help you?" He said.

"Hi Harry, are you helping your mother?" Mr. Jenkins asked.

"Yes, just temporarily," Harry said and smiled looking at Zayn too.

"Well, it's Zayn's birthday here and we want a cake for the occasion. Cecile is waiting at home," Mr. Jenkins said.

"Oh I see, and how old are you Zayn?", Harry asked.

"I'm turning eighteen today," Zayn answered and smiled. Seeing Harry always made him smile.

"So you're staying with Mr. and Mr. Jenkins? That's good"  Harry said smiling at him.

"Yes, he's been staying with us," Mr. Jenkins said and Zayn smiled.

"So, Zayn, what's your favorite flavor cake?" Harry asked him.

" I don't have one, I think. I like them all," He said looking at the beautiful cakes on the display case.

"Well, I can recommend this one. Red Velvet. It is my favorite," He said grinning at him and Zayn noticed how his gorgeous green eyes sparkled.

"Yes- yes, fine, that's okay." He said smiling at the curly boy.

"Alright then," Harry said putting the cake in a pink carton box and tying it with a white ribbon. "It's on the house, Happy Birthday, Zayn," he said.

"Seriously? Oh... thank you, Harry," Zayn said blushing and then looking at Mr. Jenkins.

"Just save me a piece, you know where to find me," Harry said smiling at him.

"Oh, Thanks, Harry. That's a nice gesture. Say hello to your mom for me," Mr. Jenkins said walking out of the bakery.

They went home and Zayn was so happy because of the gift that he received from the curly-haired boy.
They had dinner and then have cake for dessert.

"So, dear, did you like your cake?" Cecile asked.

"Ye-yes, it was delicious. It's Harry's favorite. He recommended it." He said smiling at the thought.