IV.

"Come on in," Mrs. Jenkins said smiling. She was a brown-skinned woman, in her middle forties, with brown eyes, curly hair down to her shoulders, and a warm smile.

"Hi, Mrs. Jenkins, we're finally here. He's Zayn Malik," Ms. Wilson said.

"I'm glad, nice to meet you Zayn. I'm Cecile. How are you?" Mrs. Jenkins said smiling.

"Hi ma'am, nice to meet you too. I'm fine now. Thank you for having me in your house," Zayn said.

"Oh, dear. I'm so happy to have you. John, my husband, is on his way here. He has a store close by," she explained.

"Okay," he said.

"You work in a school, Ms. Wilson said that to me," Zayn asked.

"Yes, I'm the principal of an elementary school in the next district," she said.

"I like school too," Zayn said smiling at her.

At that moment the door opened and Mr. Jenkins entered the apartment.

"Hi everybody," he said smiling. He was a tall man with brunette hair, hazel eyes, and a nice smile. Zayn found a little resemblance to his father in him.

"Dear, you're home," Cecile said coming to the living room.

"Ms. Wilson, good to see you," He said shaking her hand and greeting her.

"Zayn, come over here. He's John, my husband," Cecile said introducing him.

"Hi young man, how are you doing?" Mr. Jenkins said and extended his hand as well. Zayn did it too.

"Hello I'm Zayn, nice to meet you, sir," he said politely arranging his sweatshirt and pushing his broken glasses over his nose bridge.

"Nice to meet you too, Zayn. So, where are we at? Ms. Wilson, do you have everything you need from us?" Mr. Jenkins said to her.

"Yes, here I have the last documents you need to sign," Ms. Wilson said.

"Alright," he said grabbing the file with them.

"Dear, what about I show you your room?" Cecile said and Zayn nodded. "Grab your things, come on," she continued.

She opened the door and Zayn entered the room. It was a simple but cozy room like the guest room his parents had in his old house. The walls were painted in a pale green tone and the bed had a duvet set in a darker green color. A work table with a little lamp, a chair, and a light brown carpet.

"Do you like it?" Cecile asked excitedly.

"Ye-yes. It's nice, thank you," Zayn said.

"Of course, we can make the changes that you want. I don't know, change the walls, put some stuff on them, anything you like," She said as Zayn sat on the bed. It was so soft, his back will be thankful for that.

"It's okay. I-I like the color of the walls," Zayn said smiling at her. He didn't want to be a nuisance. "The bed is so soft," he said caressing the duvet.

"I'm happy you like it, we changed everything once Ms. Wilson told us that we can be your foster family,"  she said smiling.

"You did all of this for me?" Zayn asked surprised. Most people won't do that for a foster kid. The other families he was with, gave him an old mattress or bed in a basement or attic full of other stuff. He never had a room for himself in the last years, let alone new things.