Chapter 12 Why Do Fools Fall In Love

Start from the beginning

"I don't know her dad, but I know that she's only trying to protect him and..."

Taylor cut me off "that's the problem. He doesn't need protecting. It's her that needs protecting from him." Taylor grabbed hold of his glass a little tighter. We sat in silence for a bit. I knew Taylor only wanted what was best for Ren. It was clear he had strong feelings for her. I didn't know the history, but I knew he was only trying to help. Although Ren would never admit it, I really got the feeling she needed it.

"Well, I did hear something tonight that might be relevant."

"Oh yeah, what was that agent Romanoff?"

"Ha ha, very funny. Watch the Marvel references slick."

"Sorry, you're as hot as the black widow though." Taylor was trying to lighten the mood.

"They said something about Durov being on edge because of the shipment coming in. The old man didn't know."

"Didn't know what?"

"Didn't say. The order is harder to follow in Russian. It's not like English. It could mean the old man didn't know about the shipment, or what the shipment was, or perhaps even the time of the shipment. Who knows who the old man really is anyway?"

"Yeah well, you tell that to Ren that and she's going to hear what she wants to anyway."

"I've got to tell her though"

"Do you?"

I didn't look up. I stared at the shredded beer mat.

"I know you do. It's just I don't know what it's going to take her to make her see the truth about her dad in all this. You don't know the whole story. He fucks up time and time again. He's shown his true colours on many occasions and she's just blind. I don't know what I can say to her to make her see sense, and Durov....Christ, he's a whole new level of bad news."

I could feel his frustration. He had hold of his blonde hair by the roots. Pain was etched across his face. It was a rare glimpse into the man I shouldn't have been party to.

"I don't think you can say anything Taylor." I tried gently "I don't think she is your biggest fan at the moment."

Taylor groaned "you don't even know the half of it. Right about now, she hates me."

"Aren't hate and love part of the same coin? Not that I'd know, but my grandma used to tell me that all the time. Look at us both, in love with people who don't love us back."

"Maybe they're the wrong people?" Taylor looked out to sea. I noticed he hadn't denied it.

He seemed to snap back "Anyway Parker doesn't hate you. Believe me. Even Ren and I are in complete agreement on that front. Why he's acting so weird about it though is beyond me. In fact, he's been off for months. Something is definitely up. I know I've been away at uni... Wait a minute isn't that him?"

Squinting across the road in the dark we could just make out Parker on his bike as he pulled up to the shower block. Something tugged at my memory hard.

"He's going to his wardrobe locker. I guess he's taking a shower after work. I mean it is nearly midnight now."

"Why would he take a shower there though? Why not just go home? What do you mean wardrobe locker?"

"He's keeping clothes and gear in one of those lockers by the showers. I saw him get stuff out yesterday. Maybe he's got another job to go to and it's on the way so easier?"

"Maybe, that's not impossible. He could be doing a shift at one of the nightclubs? I know he's saving, but then again, his house is just a street behind us. Why wouldn't he just shower at home?"