Chapter 27

EROS' POV

After my parents, Evelyn and the other guy came out. Few minutes later Mr, Carter came out with the doctors and Evelyn's mum on a stretcher fully covered from head to toe. Mr Carter told Evelyn to go home and receive her aunt who would be home soon before he left with the doctors to the morgue.

Dad came and whispered in my ear to wait for Mr. Carter so that I can bring him home before they left with Evelyn.

I, Ivan and the other guy whom I seem to keep forgetting his name went to the hospital entrance to wait for Mr. Carter so that he would see us when he leaves the morgue.

After about an hour or so he came out looking so distraught and about to cry though it is very obvious that he is trying to hold the tears in. After seeing Mr. Carter I saw that the love he had for his wife really ran very deep and I wished to have that some day with Evelyn and definitely not at the expense of Evelyn's death. I went up to meet with him.

"Mr Carter I am here to take you home" I told him.

"Thank you for waiting. Hope you wouldn't mind I would like for us to make a brief stop somewhere" he told me.

"No problem at all" I assured him

We got to the car and Ivan sat in front with me while Mr Carter sat at the back with the other guy though left for me I wouldn't give him a lift. Mr Carter told me to make a stop in front of a catholic church. He came down and went inside, after some minutes I saw him walking out with a priest.

Hmmm Evelyn's parents must be Christians I thought to myself. Mr Carter soon entered and told me to drive.

"The priest will be coming directly behind us in his own car" Mr. Carter said to me.

When we got to their residence we all came down and waited for the priest to park very well and join us. As soon as he did Mr Carter unlocked the door and we all went inside.

My parents were already seated in their living room and Evelyn was laying on the lap of a woman whom I assumed to be the aunt. She adjusted herself and we all sat comfortably.

The priest admonished us through his sermon and that was when it dawned on me that I have been living my life wrongly all these while. I can't remember the last time I said grace or even went to church. Morality aside I have been treating my wife Evelyn badly without giving her a chance at happiness. And just like the priest said death is inevitable and none of us knew when we will die.

I cannot die yet because I haven't even had my own family yet neither have I loved anyone to be loved fully in return. After the priest's sermon I made up my mind to work on my marriage with Evelyn. I just need to get to know her better and besides she turned out better than I had expected.

She is not as lousy and slutty as Claire is and neither is she money hungry like the girls I have met before so I must make this marriage work I resolved within myself.

After the prayers Evelyn served us all tea and my parents and the priest left. Evelyn's aunt went with her dad inside his own room and I followed Evelyn when she went up. She went into a guest room probably to clean it up for her aunt.

"Hey... I wanted to ask if you are okay?" I asked her awkwardly

"I am fine" came her flat reply.

"Is there any way I can help you, do you need me stay behind with you?" I asked her yet again.

No its fine besides don't you have your business to take care of or any business trip to urgently be?" She asked me sarcastically.

"I know I deserve whatever treatment I am getting from you and I am really sorry" I said to her. Atleast I expected this much when I came to meet her here but still I am not giving up on her nor this marriage no matter what she does or says to me.

"No it's fine I get it, besides this is what happens when marriages are arranged in the first place so you don't need to force yourself or put much effort" She replied me coldly.

"Do you need me to call Mrs Teresa over here to help you with the house instead since you are not even in a great shape and I am the least person you want to see", I asked her yet again still persisting.

At the moment she cannot even take care of herself let alone her dad and her visiting aunt hence I suggested so that Mrs Teresa will be of help to her.

"See Mr. Taylor you don't really have to do anything or pretend to care. I have everthing under control and Ethan has taken time off from work to help me with things over here so please just continue to be you and leave me alone" She replied to me with a tone of finality to her voice.

I got the message loud and clear hence I decided to retreat for today but that does not mean I am giving up. Honestly when I heard the other guy's name from her mouth it really ticked me off but I kept my cool and went downstairs leaving her alone.

She came down and I asked us if we cared for dinner but I and Ivan rejected the offer so she went to prepare dinner for the rest of them. After a while before she could be done with the dinner I and Ivan left.

While driving Ivan home my hands were tightened on the steering and my knuckles turned white. Ivan noticed this and called my attention to it.

"What is ticking you off, your knuckles are turned white already" Ivan asked me. I could never hide anything from Ivan anyway because he sees right through me.

"Honestly that Ethan guy really ticks me off you know, why is he always around my wife?" I asked him exasperated

"Well because they are bestfriends" Ivan answered nonchalantly

"But he is a guy and I don't subscribe to the idea of male and female bestfriends, one of them definitely must have feelings for the other" I told him

"Calm down Eros, there relationship is basically platonic atleast I have been with them the most time you were away" Ivan told me with assurance.

"Well if you say so but I still don't like the guy" I said the last part under my breath

"But why are you bothered anyways its not like you love her" Ivan said. I kept silent without responding or disputing it

"Shit sherlock" Ivan cursed

"You are in love with her" Ivan screamed.

"No of course not " I scoffed

"I just want to make my marriage work and do right by her that's all" I said to him

"Yeah, keep telling yourself that" Ivan told me laughing.

We got to his place and I dropped him off and zoomed of to my place. I got home and everywhere was dark. I turned on the light and went upstairs. I stopped at Evelyn's room and hesitated before going in. The whole place was neatly arranged so unlike her atleast from the experience I had with living with her in my parents place.

I looked around a little more before heading to my room. I really missed her terribly and I just realized it now. After freshening up I laid on my bed thinking out ways to fight for my wife and get her back.