Chapter 7

EVELYN'S POV

After a few hours mum woke up and I fed her dinner since she wasn't strong enough to eat by herself yet and dad on the other hand was sleeping.

After feeding her dinner we talked a little bit before I decided to go home. The hospital only permitted one guardian to sleep over at night and besides I had college tomorrow. Though I tried to convince mum that school activities weren't serious so it didn't matter if I missed a few days of school yet she insisted I go so I had to. I am willing to do anything that will make her happy and less stressed at this point.

I got home late and saw it was already past 10pm, I decided to eat some apples for dinner and head to bed. As soon as my head touched the pillow I slept off. I guess the thinking and crying I did today really wore me out.

The next morning I got up my mood wasn't better either, I made some porridge and equally peeled some fruits and took it to the hospital before heading to college. During class all I could think of was what dad and mum were planning to tell me this afternoon and I felt so restless and disturbed.

After my classes I was heading out and bumped into Ethan in the hallway

"Hey...Lyn you look so out of it, what has your mind occupied. Is there trouble in paradise?" He said jokingly

"I wish I was in paradise to begin with", I replied him tiredly. "My mum got hospitalized yesterday" I continued with a tear slipping out of my eye.

"What!!, what's wrong with her, is it serious?", He asked me shocked. "You should have called me yesterday, I told you to call when you need me. I'm so sorry you went through all these alone", He said while hugging me.

From the corner of my eye I saw Madgirl coming into our direction and I don't even have an ounce of strength to exchange words with her so I got out of Ethan's embrace.

"Hey baby, what's going on here?" Maddison said while clinging to Ethan. Probably she was trying to mark her territory but right now I don't even care nor do I have the strength to get jealous.

"Ethan I have to be on my way now so I really gat to run" I said while leaving.

"Come on Lyn wait up I will go with you", Ethan said while following me.

"But baby we have plans this afternoon don't we?" Maddison said twirling her hair while pouting trying to look cute but trust me at the moment she looked like a pregnant chimp in labour.

"Do we?" Ethan asked her surprised. "See babe I really need to be with Lyn right now it is really urgent I will make it up to you later" he coerced her.

"Fine",  she said while stomping her feet and leaving

"You know you really didn't have to" I told Ethan

"No, I really needed to, you need me so I have to be there for you " he said. As soon as I heard his words my heart fluttered and I smiled a real smile for the first time today.

We got to the hospital mum was awake but dad wasn't there.

"Mum where is dad?" I asked her.
"He went to freshen up and as well have something to eat" she replied me

"Good afternoon Mrs Carter how are you feeling today" Ethan asked my mum making his presence known.

"I am fine dear, and how are your parents" my mum asked him

"They are doing great and thanks for asking" Ethan replied her.

I and Ethan stayed with mum and chatted with her. Ethan made her laugh most of the time, well the guy is really corny and fun to be with. Later dad arrived and Ethan had to excuse himself to go home.

"I will see you tomorrow at college Lyn and do take care of yourself Mrs Carter" Ethan said while I saw him off.

When I returned after seeing Ethan off I noticed that mum and dad kinda looked tensed

"Hey princess come and sit, I and your mum have something to tell you" my dad said

I walked and sat on the bed, I was terrified and as well as curious about what they are going to tell me.

"My baby girl, you are a grown woman now and we are really going to be honest with you. I am very sick and I don't know how much time I have left. I have been fighting this sickness but now I am really tired. I don't know how long I can hold out for" my mum said weakly with tears in her eyes.

My dad held my mum's hands and leaned into her to give her more support. Honestly, at this point I am confused because I do not know where this talk is actually heading to.

"Baby girl you know I and your dad love you a lot and we will love for you to get married to our very good friend's son" my mum said with sadness in her voice

"What?", I shouted shockingly, of all things they were going to tell me this was the least thing I expected to hear from them.

"But mum... dad I am still in college and I am not ready to let you guys go. I don't even know the man in question and you guys don't know if we are even compatible to begin with" I said all at once repulsed at the idea.

"Princess we understand what you are trying to say but we can assure you that this young man is a good fellow because he has such wonderful parents so you don't have anything to worry about" my dad said trying to convince me.

"Baby girl, I have only one wish before I start the second phase of my journey and that is for you to be happily married and settled in your own home so that in that way when I am leaving I will have no regrets" my mum said tearfully

At her words I became very sad too and was on the verge of tears "but mum you and dad have done your very best and I could never ask for more so you shouldn't have any regrets" I told her trying to console her as well.

"But baby girl the very first day you came to our house, the first promise I made to myself was to make sure I give you the best in life and to equally see you settled happily with your family before I leave this earth. So please could you help me to keep this promise" my mum said sadly trying to persuade me.

After hearing her words I just could not find it within me to refuse her so I said the next thing that I may or may not regret in this my life time.

"When are we meeting their family for the marriage arrangement?" I asked both my parents.