Bella reached over, pressing her hand to his forearm. "I'm glad you're here, Edward. I'm glad that you're out of that situation," she murmured, squeezing his arm.

"I'm glad I'm here, too," he murmured back, leaning toward her and giving her a gentle, kind smile. A smile that Bella felt all the way in her ovaries. "Ready?"

"Yeah," she nodded, trying to calm her pink cheeks.

They rode up to a penthouse, a rustic apartment. Edward liked the layout and the unique décor. It was perfect for his new beginning in his new hometown. With a crooked grin, he was now the lessee of this apartment for the next year, with the option to rent monthly after that first year. Edward did ask if he could break the lease after six months. The property manager hemmed and hawed, but when Edward put down six months up front, they agreed.

After paying the realtor her commission, she left and drove off to her office.

"It's a beautiful day. I don't want to go back to work, and I like spending time with you," Bella said. "Do you want to play hooky with me?"

"I do need to run some errands, namely accept delivery of my belongings from Chicago. I set up a storage unit a few blocks from Bull Dog that's climate controlled," Edward chuckled.

"When are your things being delivered?"

"The driver texted, and they said the truck would be here by four," he answered.

"Okay, we can do a picnic at the Olympic Sculpture Park," Bella suggested. "Come on. Let's get some nosh. I'm starving. The coffee was a great pick-me-up, but not very filling." She took his hand, leading him back to his car. She gave him directions to some small grocer near the Olympic Sculpture Park.

Picking up a healthy meal, Edward parked his car and they walked to shaded area, overlooking the sound. Edward had a blanket in the back of his SUV, spreading it on the grass while Bella began poking through the tote bags of goodies. Settling down, Edward took a proffered bottle of water and let the sun warm his face.

"What are these errands you need to run, other than accepting your stuff from Chicago?" Bella asked.

"Now that I have an address, I need a Washington driver's license and license plate for my car," he explained. "I need to set up electricity, internet, and all that shit for the apartment. I also need to go through the shit in the storage unit, bringing what I need to the apartment, mainly clothes and everyday items. On top of that, I also need to talk to Jasper, that attorney who works with your fighters, to get the ball rolling on bringing down Aro and Caius Volturi. I got his number from Emmett, but that was more casual and social. I need him as my representation, you know?"

"Jasper is one of the best attorneys on the West Coast when it comes to representation," Bella said, popping a pita chip. "He'll be able to help you. I think he'll be at the gym next Monday for a meeting with my dad, but I can see if he's willing to meet with you."

"I'd appreciate it," Edward smiled, eating some of the pasta salad. "This is delicious."

"It's one of those hidden gems," Bella sang, making a wrap with prosciutto, mozzarella, and salami. "I don't know my mother, but she was Italian, and I love Italian food. Try this." She handed him the wrap.

"I'm going to gain so much weight," he groaned around the wrap. "What's this sauce?"

"Aioli with rosemary and thyme," Bella cooed, licking her finger. "So, you started fighting to finance your education. How did you meet your ex? You said you knew her since sixth grade."

"Before my mom died, we lived in an affluent neighborhood of Chicago," Edward explained, drinking more water. "After she passed, I was yanked from my private charter school, where I met Victoria, and placed in a public school. I made the best out of a sticky situation. I advocated for myself and did as much as I could to keep up my education. It paid off with my acceptance to Northwestern. Anyway, Victoria was a year younger than me. I was at a rare party in college ... I never attended."

"Too focused on your studies?" Bella asked, arching a brow over her sunglasses.

"Pretty much or I was training with my roommate," he answered. "Anyway, Northwestern is Evanston, which is not that far from Chicago. One of Garrett's friends, who attended DePaul, invited Garrett to this party and he dragged me along. Victoria, who was at DePaul, also attended the party."

"You reconnected," Bella surmised.

"Yeah, but she'd heard about me through the grapevine. She had a crush when we were younger. Anyway, we started as friends and eventually, it morphed into something else. I never told her about my fights, but she found one. After a fight, I'm hyped up, especially if I've won."

"Other than your fight with Demetri, I've never seen a loss or a knockout," Bella said. "Your stats are impressive, Edward. Are you human?"

"Very much so," he laughed. "Anyway, Victoria found me a locker room after a fight, and she kissed me. The next thing I know, we're fucking. Hard. She was turned on by the violence or whatever."

"Was that your first time?" Bella asked, her face flaming a brilliant red.

"Having sex?" Edward asked in clarification. Bella nodded. "No. I'd lost my virginity at a young age, looking for love anywhere but at my own home after my mother passed. I'm not a man whore, by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not a monk either."

"So, a typical guy," she snickered.

"Essentially," he retorted. "What started as a fuck-buddy situation, turned into her becoming my girlfriend and leeching off me. Don't get me wrong, at the beginning, I was fine with having sex with her and when it morphed into a relationship, I was cool. But, when she moved her unemployed and uneducated ass into my new condo, that's when I noticed the differences. I never loved Victoria. I liked her. She was fun."

"Uneducated?"

"She failed out of DePaul. She liked to party a little too much," Edward snorted. "Anyway, I got injured and I was at home, recovering. Never once did she help me. Marcus, my physician, had to arrange for some assistance for me until my shoulder had been rehabilitated enough. She happily spent money and flounced around Chicago while I was battling migraines, auras, vomiting, and the worst pain ever."

"They have medications," Bella offered.

"Once I was off the strong stuff from the hospital, I didn't take anything other than over-the-counter meds. My dad is an alcoholic. He's got an addictive personality. I'm his kid. So, I don't really drink and the only medications I'm taking are the pain killers for the migraines and vitamins," Edward said. "Anyway, Victoria constantly complained that I was always home."

"Bitch, you were recovering from a possible career-ending injury. She's complaining that you were home? Seriously?"

"That should have been my first red flag," he sighed.

"And the other red flag?"

"Money," he answered, sitting up and pulling his knees up while he watched the sunlight dance on the water. "I never really trusted her with money, so I never gave her access to my accounts. I gifted her extravagant things, but not money. How was she able to purchase her wardrobe? Jewelry? Makeup?"

"She had another guy," she frowned. "Bitch."

"Another guy who is now Volterra's top prize fighter," Edward shrugged. "Long story long, they were fucking in my bed. I kicked her out and began moving all my shit out here with Marcus's help."

"We both were burned by cheaters," Bella sighed.

"I'm here if you want to share. I feel strangely better after telling you about the debacle that was my life," he snorted humorlessly. He blinked to look at Bella, who was shifting on the blanket. She twisting her watch again. Gently stopped her hand, making her jump. "Or, you don't have to."

"No, I should ..." she whispered. "You shared your darkest secret. It's only fair that I do the same."

A/N: Up next, we'll hear about Bella and her past with Jacob. What do you think Edward's reaction will be? Leave your thoughts!

Pictures are on my blog. There's a link on my profile. I'm also on FB: Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation. Twitter, too: tufano79.