Chapter 7

Carina's POV

The next few days were pretty much the same with the exception that I'd bump into Remington once or twice, and I usually didn't know what to say to him as I tried my best to walk away. I haven't forgotten what Seb and Em told me a few nights ago, but I really don't think there's anything I can do about it. If their labels are making them be a couple for publicity, I could ruin everything just by being close to Remington. Knowing he was till in love with me brought such intense joy in my heart, but I also messed with my head as I forced myself to remember why I let him go. As much as I'd love to take him back, I can't be responsible for both Lizzie and Palaye losing their careers because of me. The poor girl, she was probably just as dragged into this as Remington. I don't remember her announcing any relationships before this ordeal, but I figured whoever might be with her would be so lucky to date such a gorgeous and talented singer. What a coincidence that not only would it be arranged, but it'd be with my ex-boyfriend.

One Saturday in the middle of September, I was on my way to the department store to buy some new clothes that I needed for school and work. In the middle of browsing around, I felt someone tap my shoulder and when I turned, I was face-to-face with Lizzie who seemed eager to meet me. "Lizzie!", I gasped in surprise, "I didn't expect to see you here! How are you?" She smiled sweetly and replied with, "I'm okay, thank you." She then went ask to ask me, "If you have some time today, can we get some lunch and talk?" My eyes widened at her proposal as I couldn't believe she wanted to spend some time with me. As a fan of her music, I was excited but as the ex-girlfriend of the boy she's currently with, I was apprehensive. "Are you sure you'd like to do that with me?", I asked, she took my hand gently and implored, "Yes, I'm sure. I feel like its my responsibility to know more about the girl Remington loved very much. You had to be very special for him to keep a locket with your picture in it." A bright blush greeted my face as I was in shock to realize that Remington's kept the locket I gave him two years ago.

After I finished shopping, I led Lizzie to the town's local diner where I ordered for us, but she was generous to pay. As we were seated in a booth and waited for our food to be brought to us, I asked her, "Well, what do you think of Querencia so far? Probably nothing like the big-city life you're used to." Lizzie giggled and stated, "Actually, I really like it here. Everyone here seems really nice and there's a lot to see for such a small town." Couldn't argue with that, I smiled and nodded in agreement before the food finally came and I took a sip of my milkshake. Lizzie then began to speak, "Carina, I haven't been here that long, but for the time I've been here, I've heard a lot of people say really nice things about you. You're like the savior of this town or something." I blushed when she said that and acted modestly, "Aw, well, that was nothing. I'm just someone who hates it when things aren't right or fair, that's all." She seemed fascinated as she remarked, "Wow, I haven't met many like you. It's no wonder Remington was head over heels for you."

Her last statement made me turn my head away in embarrassment, and then she cautiously asked, "Carina, I know you don't know me very well, but since you already know that me and Remington don't really have feelings for each other, I hope you won't feel uncomfortable around me." I turned back to face her and stated, "No, it's not that! I'm just...Rem is..." I looked down at my hands resting on my thighs as I wasn't sure what to say to explain how I felt, then Lizzie's next question caught me off-guard, "Forgive me if I come off as prying, but...do you still love Remington?" I didn't move or say anything when she asked me that. Was it that obvious? Dammit, I wouldn't have been this out of composure if I hadn't seen him again. I mean, if she doesn't feel anything toward him and neither does he with her, then I guess it was safe to be honest. I found myself smiling a little as I answered her question, "Yeah, I do. I don't think I'll ever stop loving him, no matter what happens." There was silence between us for a while, then her next question was just as confusing, "If you could get him back, would you take the opportunity?"

Suddenly, my head was flooded with memories of when Remington would come close to sacrificing everything for me and how he was the first person to teach me how to love myself when I never did. Now, because of him, I have more confidence and value in myself compared to before I met him. And he's claimed that because of me, he has faith that his dream of being rock legends with his brothers can come true. Maybe I did make a mistake breaking up with him, but now it's too late because he'll get in trouble as well as Lizzie if I interfere with anything. Still, I let my heart speak for me to answer Lizzie's question, "Of course I would. If things were easier, I wouldn't never let him go so easily again. But I can't risk both of your careers for my selfish desires, so there's nothing I can do about it." After that, Lizzie thanked me for being such a great companion. She left cash to pay for lunch and said she had something to take care of before leaving the restaurant. I noticed she barely touched her food which left me curious. Did she want to have a causal lunch with me? Or was she just hoping to learn more about my history with Remington as well as ask if I still had feelings for him?