Chapter 58. "Ignorance."

There are no perfect people, but there are perfect delusions about them.

© Mikhail Kazakov

On behalf of Joanna:

I woke up to someone calling me, I could barely open my eyes after yesterday's tears, my eyes were blurry, and I rubbed them with my hands to get my bearings.

- Joanna, can you hear me? - There was Tony standing in front of me.

- Tony? What are you doing here? - I got into a half-sitting position, and I asked.

- I was just on my way... - He answered and sat down on the edge of the bed.

- How are you alright?

- I'm fine...

- You don't look fine.

- It's bad, really...

- And Edie too, they took him to the station.

- What happened?

- He went to a club last night and got into a fight, and anyway, the guy was connected and now Edie's looking at a big time, he got his lawyer from New York, let's hope he can help.

- God," I said and got frustrated again and realized it was all my fault, "but what do we do now?

- We have to wait. Only time can help us.

- Tony, you can't do that, if he goes to prison... - I thought about it. No, no, no, not that... - I added: "Please do something.

- Edie has a good lawyer and he'll help you, don't worry.

- And if he doesn't? Will he go to jail because of me? - I started crying again.

- What does this have to do with you? It's his fault, he shouldn't have got into a fight.

- Does Oswald know?

- No, Ed asked me not to tell him.

- But he's got connections.

- Yes, Joanna, Oswald has connections, but don't forget who Edmund is and you know his character better than I do.

- It's my fault... - I covered my face with my hands and cried, "I should never have come to see him in the first place...

- Calm down," Tony came up to me and hugged me, "it's not your fault, everything will be all right, Jo, don't think about it.

- Do you promise me?

- Of course Edie will be alright...

***

On behalf of Daniel:

I landed in San Francisco, I got a call from Oscar saying that Edmund had been picked up since this morning, of course it was to be expected, but let's hope I can get him out.

I arrived at the station and immediately asked to see Edmund.

- Hello, outlaw. - I smiled and hugged my friend.

- Hello, Dan. - Proclaimed the dark-haired man, he looked very bad.

- How's it going?

- Lousy.

- It's gonna be okay, I'm with you. - I started pulling out the file folders. - What's the tentative time frame?

- They said about five years, trial tomorrow morning, then they'll tell me the real sentence.

- You're in trouble, I'll tell you that, but I'll do everything in my power to get you out of this swamp...

In my practice there were a lot of people both guilty and generally those who were framed, I can't say that I could help everyone, as I was more of a prosecutor, but of course being a lawyer is much more difficult...