13 - Nightmare

I'm playing chess with my dad in the living room

I'm playing chess with my dad in the living room. He's teaching me how to play. I'm getting pretty good now, but he will never let me win.

I have to earn it, he says.

I've not beat him yet, but I will.

Mum is in the kitchen making us all some hot chocolate. It's around 8pm and it's quite cold outside. I think we are going to watch some new movie about vikings and dragons when she comes back.

"Derick darling, where's the cocoa power?" My mum asks from the kitchen.

"I think it's in the cupboard to the right, above the sink," he answers her, knocking my white bishop off the board in the process.

I frown up at him but it turns to a grin when I move one of my horses to take his castle.

He doesn't react just reaches to make his next move.

My head shoots up when I hear a bunch of cars screech into our drive. I hear a glass smash and look over to my mother who is frozen looking out the window to see who it is.

She takes a slow step back before snapping out of her trance and spinning around to us.

"Nirah you have to go in the hidden closet right now!" She says running over to me and cupping my face in her hands, "you don't come out of there whatever you hear alright baby?"

"Why mum, whats going on? Are you and dad going to be okay?" I ask shakily as she rushes me over to our hidden closet.

They told me to hide in it if there was an emergency, I dont know what they meant by that though. I guess it's what's happening now.

I get in the closet and she's outside it holding my hand, "We'll be fine my baby, you have to promise me to stay in here until either me or your dad gets you. You don't come out whatever you hear. Promise?" She says quickly, tears are running down her face.

I nod at her unable to talk.

"Me and your dad love you. You remember that darling, we love you so so so much," she says, before I can force any words out of my mouth she pushes the door shut.

I hear our door being kicked down and some footsteps walk inside.

"Derick, Annette. I hope you don't mind the intrusion," a deep voice says. "But I believe you owe me something and I want it, not to mention you've been causing some... problems for me."

"We don't owe you anything, get out of my fucking house," I hear my dad say. I can hear footsteps moving around.

I try to keep my sobs in so I can hear whats going on.