Chapter 37

Ioana's POV

"I told you, she can't."

I rest my back looking at the hotel room's ceiling while Hana's standing quietly, unmoved.

Simone won't tell us everything that happened to her, I noticed that she couldn't explain herself, she couldn't give us an explanation as to why we lost her.

And it felt like we never found her at all even though she was in front of us.

My eyes followed where Hana was going while her phone rings but she went out, curious man ay napatingala nalang ulit ako sa itaas. The drive from Baron all the way here was a pain, sumakit ang likod ko at nangawit ako, grabe!

Iidlip na sana ako nang makarinig ako ng kalabog, sinilip ko kaagad si Hana, sa kaniya pala galing iyon nang hampasin niya ang coffee table sa harapan niya. She saw me coming kaya sumandal nalang ito sa sofa.

"Hello, Io! Yie nakausap mo ba si Ronin d'yan?"

Bumungad sa akin ang nakangising muka ni Handaya, kumakaway. She's in the mood today, I guess. Umiling ako bago siya nginitian, Had pouted in return. Handaya our biggest shipper.

Tumikhim ako. "This Clary girl likes Ronin, who's that?"

Rinig namin ang malakas na tawa ni Had sa kabilang linya, nagsalin pa ito ng wine sa wine glass niya, tingin ko ay nasa bahay siya ngayon nila, mukang magara kasi nasa paligid.

"Clary Chavez, Dr. Hellios' best friend, no bad records and she's actually pretty cool too, successful, background clean as fuck."

They already did a background check huh? I sigh in disbelief, these women.

"Tsk. Anyway, why can't you find that bastard Warren and kill him already, Had?" Hana irritatedly said.

My eyes widened.

"Words, Hana, we're not a monster!"

"I'm kidding, let's put him in jail once and for all."

I suddenly felt the sadness sipping inside me. Nasasaktan ako sa nangyari kay Simone, kahit pa hindi malinaw ang lahat sa amin ng mga kaibigan niya, there's no clue, no loose ends, even a hint—na para bang walang nangyari. And my heart couldn't take those. Ang sakit isipin na tanging si Simone lamang ang may alam ng lahat lahat at hindi niya kayang ipaliwag sa amin. Base on Had, Dr. Hellios also couldn't say anything about Simone.

Hindi ko na alam kung saan masasaktan.

'Yung hindi niya na kami kayang balikan, masakit.

'Yung gusto niya nang kalimutan ang nakaraan, masakit.

'Yung nagbago na ang paraan ng pagtingin niya sa akin, sa amin, masakit. The way she look at me before, I feel so much. I miss her. Her protectiveness, her soft gestures, her thoughts, the way she calm me down, the way she talks to me. All of her.

I knew those kind of gaze all along.

And I hate myself for not confronting it, for not being ready, for being unstable. For being too dependent on her. But that's life. May dumarating kahit hindi ka naman handang harapin ito.

I sigh again.

The real reason why I'm here was because I'm going to be one of the judges of the upcoming art contest in which Hana sponsored, ako ang isa sa judge na kinuha niya, ayoko but she was persistent. Hana won't stop until she convince me so I just accepted my defeat—part of me agreed to it because I know Simone will join.

Hana surely did these on purpose to lure me here in this city.

Maybe she's planning something or she just really want to see Simone in person. Hana blamed herself all these years, siya ang huli niyang kasama bago ito mawala but thinking about it, I envy her because she got to spent time with her longer.

"Hmm the venue's nice."

Hana stood beside me crossing her arms while taking in our surroundings, it's today, the contest. I'm watching how people enter the venue with awe, Hana gave too much budget for the venue resulting to this, grand. Not to mention the winning prizes.

I remained standing still while looking at Simone's figure walking in without any emotion on her face, she's just walking straight holding all her painting material, following her is a woman maybe just about our age, she looked impressed with the venue's design, my eyes followed her like a hawk until I realized I looked like a total creep.

Contestants soon filled up the center area where the canvases were already set up, audience could freely watch them paint.

Aalis na sana ako nang makita kong may kakamayan si Simone, they seem to have a intense staring battle and Simone seem to win as the other one looked determined, for I don't know what reason.

"Oh that's Alisha, the snobbish friend of her, akala ko nu'ng una parang ikaw pero malayo," Hana whispered pertaining to them and then laughed.

"They're not friends." Tinignan ko ulit ang dalawa sa baba, the way the two throw dagger look at each other, I'm guessing they always compete with each other. Which is surprising, Simone never liked competing with anyone, she hates conflicts, but maybe this time she enjoys it.

I was just looking ahead as the host called my name, I'm sure I wasn't known in this town but some artist might've recognize me, I've sold a couple of paintings and held exhibits within five years, my last piece was Blue the one Simone saw in Barcelona, it was the first and last portrait I've ever did, now I'm focused with my projects with my co-engineers and other colleagues, makulit lang talaga si Hana.

I like working with other people, Hana helped me a lot during tough times especially when I was about to face the world that's too fucked up for my mental health to even handle, she helped me so much I didn't know how to thank her in any way but to be by her side, always. Sometimes she's harsh, most of the time she's just plainly irritated with my presence since she wouldn't take how timid I am.

"Engineer?"

Sabay kaming lumingon ni Hana nang marinig iyon, nagkatinginan pa kami bago tuluyang harapin si Simone, I smiled slightly, trying not to be emotional in front of her.

"Yes?" sabay ulit kami ni Hana, umakbay pa ito sa akin na parang sira habang nakangisi kay Simone. We both passed our bar exam on our first take, Hana didn't even sweat.

"Hello baby what do you need?" Mapaglarong sabi ni Hana.

Napaiwas ako ng tingin, I forgot Hana liked her back then, sure I like Simone but I wasn't really thinking about it thoroughly, I'm letting the thought of it linger around us, no one's trying to acknowledge the obvious. I bit my tongue for thinking about the past while she's here looking at me, coldly if I may add. My heart skipped a beat.

"I thought I was just seeing things.." bulong niya, nagpamulsa itong umiling saka umalis na sa harapan namin, mukang wala ang isip sa kasalukuyan, she looked...damn fine. Kaagad na nag-init ang muka ko, I miss hearing her voice too.

"I'm certain the host called you earlier, she must be very busy thinking how to win this event kaya hindi siya sure."

Tinanggal ko ang pagkakaakbay niya saka hinabol si Simone. I was about to call her when someone excitedly called her. She immediately embraced her.

My lips pursed as I watch them, gumapang kaagad ang selos, it taste bitter, tumalikod ako kaagad and I even bumped unto someone as I turned, I held my forehead as I hurriedly apologize to her.

That hurts.

I want to hug her too.

******