13: Evil Russians

"Holy shit!" Max gasped looking through the binder of Dustin's prized comic book collection. Everyone in the party knew he had the best comics and that no one was allowed to touch them.

"I know right." I smiled flipping through the 15th issue of amazing fantasy which was the first comic to ever introduce Spider-Man. We were gathered in El's room an one of my cassettes where playing in the stereo filling the room with the musical stylings of Van Halen.

🔺👾🔻

"I'm back, with snacks!" I cheered walking into El's room to see her flipping through magazines while Max was dancing around and sing along to Madonna's 'Angel'

I dumped the bag on the bed next to El as various candies, soda, and chips fell out.

"Your skateboard m'lady." I joked handing the board back to Max since I used it to go to the store.

"Oh you found Ralph Macchio." I smirked sitting down next to El and looking at the pictures she was staring at.

"Macchio?" She asked confused and Max kneeled beside the bed looking up at her.

"Yeah, he's the Karate Kid. Hai-yah!" She replied demonstrating a karate chop causing all three of us to laugh.

"He's so hot, right?" I asked with a smirk as Max immediately nodded in response before she started to speak.

"I bet he's an amazing kisser, too." There seemed to be a subtle shift in her demeanor as she got up from the floor as sat next to me.

"Is Mike a good kisser?" She asked causing El to shrug.

"I don't know, he's my first boyfriend."

"Ex-boyfriend." Max corrected before she noticed the disappointed look on El's face.

"Hey, don't worry about it. Okay? He'll come crawling back to you in no time, begging for forgiveness. I guarantee you, him and Lucas are, like, totally wallowing in self-pity and misery right now." Max said in an attempt to make El feel better however it made me feel bad for leaving Will with them. Then for some reason the topic of boyfriends and kissing caused my mind to drift towards Dustin.

I wasn't until Max and Will brought it up that I started thinking about my feelings for him. I mean the whole having friends things is new to me in general. That paired with being surrounded by people who actually care about me...I always just assumed my feelings for Dustin were strictly platonic. That the reason I felt differently about him than I did about everyone else was only because we were best friends, because I was closer to him than Mike or Lucas. But maybe... maybe not.

"Oh my god." I mumbled in disbelief.

"What is it?" El asked worried as she an Max turned to look at me.

"I think I like Dustin." I whispered and it was like a strange weight was lifted off my shoulders. A weight that I didn't even know existed until it was gone.