04: The Pollywog

The Next Morning

I woke up on the couch in Dustin's living room and turned my head to see him laying in the floor.

"You two must have been studying so hard last night so I thought I'd make breakfast. The phone is over there if you want to call your parents. They must be so worried." Dustin's mom called out when she noticed me sitting up.

"Thank you, I'm so sorry if I've over stayed my welcome. I really didn't mean to fall asleep." I laughed awkwardly as I gently shook Dustin awake and he immediately sat up, looking around.

"Oh nonsense! All of Dusty's friends are always welcome here." She beamed as Dustin an I made eye contact.

"I really appreciate that ma'am, thank you." I call out to her as Dustin an I had a nonverbal conversation with our eyes as we tried to figure out what we were going to do about the thing in his bed room.

"You two haven't seen the cat have you? She didn't touch her dinner and that just so unlike her."

"No mom. We have not seen the cat." Dustin responded.

"Dart ate her." I whispered panicked and Dustin turned to look at me.

"Shut up!" He hissed.

"I think I'm gonna go look outside, she like to wander sometimes." Mrs. Henderson explained with a nervous laugh as she grabbed her coat and a cat toy before going outside an I turned to look at Dustin.

"Dude...Dart ate your mom's cat. Now we have to get her a new one, that is so sad." I mumbled leaning against the back of the couch as Dustin looked at me with a look of disbelief.

"Really? That's what you're worried about right now? A cat?!" He scoffed.

"I bet she was the cutest cat ever." I mumbled to myself and he sighed getting up and going over to the cabinet, putting stuff in his backpack.

"Girls are so weird." He whispered under his breath, however it barely sounded like a whisper with how quiet the house was.

"I heard that!" I sassed.

"You were supposed to!" He replied in the same tone as I got up and went over to the table.

"Ooo bacon." I cheered grabbing a piece then I looked over to see Dustin looking at me while shaking his head.

"Don't judge me, Henderson."

🔺👾🔻

After about a half hour of trying to come up with a plan Dustin got up from the table and went over to the phone.

"What are you doing?" I asked confused.

"Shh." He muttered holding the phone to his ear just as the front door opened.

"Dusty, baby, you're sure she's not in your room? Beatrice, you haven't seen her?" Mrs. Henderson asked frantically.

"No ma'am I'm sorry, we've looked through the whole house." I replied as Dustin held up a finger signaling for us to wait a moment.

"Uh-huh...uh-huh, thank you so much, Mr. McCorkle. Thank you so much. You are a true lifesaver. All right, this was great. Thank you, all right. Have a good one. Bye-bye now. All right. You, too." Dustin said before hanging up the phone and turned to his mom.

"All right, great news." He smiled and she gasped walking towards him.

"They found her?" She asked hopefully.

"No. But they saw her wandering around Loch Nora." He replied and she started to cry.

"How did the poor baby get all the way out there?" She asked worried as she grabbed Dustin's hands.