FIFTY

"I need to tell you something." Both Paxton and Carly said to one another. After what happened at her birthday party, the girl tried her best to forget everything. Correction, she got absolutely wasted. When her boyfriend asked if she remembered anything, she said no. She lied. She was too embarrassed to face reality.

"You first." Paxton chuckled.

Carly shook her head. "No you first."

"On 3?" Paxton suggested as the girl nodded. "Ok, 1,2,3."

"I'm going to ASU."

"I'm going to UCLA."

The boy didn't know why, but he was a little upset when he heard that. Not that he was one to hold the girl back from going to her dream school, but he lowkey hoped she would go to ASU with him.

"What about ASU?" Paxton asked.

Carly shrugged. "C'mon Pax. It's freaking UCLA. I would be an idiot to say no."

"But I thought... what about us? You know? You told me you were willing to give us a try."

"I am."

"So why are you choosing UCLA?"

Carly sighed. Was this what happened between her best friend and cousin? "Paxton, you know how much I dreamed about going to UCLA. And now that I got in, I have to go."

"So you're choosing UCLA over me?"

Paxton knew he was being unreasonable. But he couldn't help it. Long distance just wasn't something the boy knew how to do.

"I'm not choosing anything over you. Why can't you understand that? You should know by now I never ever choose anything for someone. It's always for me. And if that's selfish of me, then so be it."

Paxton shook his head. "I should have known you weren't gonna fight for us. You never fight for us!"

"What has gotten into you? Where is this coming from?" Paxton didn't say anything. He knew he was being a dick. But he couldn't help it. Emotions were high. So fucking high.

"I gotta go."

Carly was confused as she watched the boy walk away. She didn't think choosing UCLA was gonna upset the boy. He knew damn well how much she wanted to go to that school. She never once mentioned anything about ASU. It wasn't even her 3rd choice.

"Well that didn't go well."