EIGHT

Turns out Carly's left ankle wasn't as bad as she thought it was. She could still move it around. But the trainer thought it would be a good idea to wear an ankle brace during the game.

Speaking of the game, things were going ok. The girl hit a 2 RBI double. It would have been a triple if she could run faster.

"Batting for the Sherman Oaks Crickets, your co-captain #2, Carly Tan."

Carly took a deep breath before walking into the batter's box. It was the bottom of the 5th inning and Sherman Oaks High were down 2-5. Luckily there were 2 runners on base. One hit and the girl could easily tie up the game.

"Strike."

That's a strike? There's no way. It was low and outside.

Carly shook it off and prepared for the next pitch. She watched the opposite team's pitcher wind up and released the ball. It was coming way too inside and before the girl could react, it hit her ribcage.

The girl screamed in pain, dropping her bat, and falling to the ground.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

The trainers came right to her side.

"Carly. Where does it hurt?" Keith, the trainer asked. The girl pointed to where she was hit and he immediately lightly touched it. "Does it hurt?" She shook her head. "Here?"

Fuck.

"Yes."

"Ok. Let me get you up ok." Keith said, pulling the girl to her feet again, wrapping her arm around him, and escorted her off the field. The crowd applauded for the girl but the girl didn't care.

All she could think about was her chances of getting into UCLA were ruined because of the stupid pitcher who couldn't pitch properly.