SEVENTEEN

"What?"

"What the hell did you say to Haley?" Paxton asked.

Carly rolled her eyes. "Why? Huh? Why do you care so much?"

"She's my friend."

"And I'm not?"

"No I didn't say that..."

"You didn't have to."

"You're the one who doesn't want to be friends with me. So you can't be mad at me for that."

Paxton had a point. Carly knew he did. But her ego was too big to admit it. "You cheated on me Paxton, how can we be friends after that?"

"That was a year ago. You're still mad about that?"

Carly scoffed. "Of course. How can I forget? You've never been cheated on so you would never ever feel the pain I had to go through. Still going through."

Paxton shook his head. "You know I don't even know why I still try with you."

"Then stop."

"Fine I will." Paxton said, looking at the only girl he's ever loved. "Answer this though." The boy stepped closer to the girl. He was aware of her cousin glaring at him. But he didn't care. He needed to know the answer to this question. "Do you still love me?"

Carly was shocked by his question. That was the last thing she ever thought he would ask her. She knew the answer. Her best friend knew the answer. Her cousin knew the answer.

Did she want Paxton to know the answer?

Did she owe him anything?

The more she stared into his eyes, the more she wanted to tell him. But she couldn't. She didn't want to let him in again after what happened. So she swallowed and said, "no."