Permission

When Daryl and June had gotten back, it was clear from their haunted expressions and lack of Merle that something terrible happened, but their chosen family decided against inundating them with a bunch of questions. In time the brother and sister would tell them about everything but they really wanted to focus on dealing with the governor. They had all agreed to stay and push back against the man that was trying to steal the prison and their lives away from them.

June had sat out of the fight willingly, her arm back in a sling for a week just to be safe and simply not having it in her to argue with anyone. When the dust settled and they were back in the cell block, she made sure to keep a close eye on Carl. She'd been just as concerned about him as Hershel, having seen that cold almost empty look in his eyes after he killed that kid. She knew this life had changed a lot for them all but she didn't want to see Carl go down this road; so before Rick got back to the prison with all the people from Woodbury, she took him aside and talked to him about it.

"Carl, come here for a second."

"Everything ok? Your shoulder..."

"My shoulder's fine, I'm actually wantin ta talk about you."

"Me?" she nodded empathically, getting her point across with very few words. "Look, that kid was with the governor. They shot at us, wanted to kill us. I was just trying to protect all of you, to protect Judith... I won't apologize June."

"Believe it or not, I wasn't gonna lecture ya." He looked at her with disbelief and suspicion in his eyes but didn't say anything to interrupt her so she kept talking. "All we've been through, all we've seen... life has forced us ta adopt the whole 'shoot first, ask questions later' mindset but Carl..." she waited for him to meet her eyes before continuing, needing him to understand that this was coming from a place of love. "just cause we gotta be cautious, don't mean we gotta be heartless. That kid was actin on the word of a psychopath. He was told that we were the bad guys, the killers. He was scared and just tryin ta get away and... he was handin his gun over ta you."

"Thought you weren't gonna lecture me."

"I mean... I haven't busted out my serious tone so I think I'm doin pretty good." Carl let out a small chuckle and June reached out with her good arm and pulled him in for a hug. "Don't lose your humanity sugar."

"I'll try."

"All I can ask for. Now, come help me change your sister's diaper."

"Ahh man! Can't you just lecture me?"

June shook her head with a smile, feeling like his teasing was a good sign. "I only got one arm and it's technically your turn so... knees ta chest Carl."

Carl let out an over-dramatic sigh but followed her over to his sister. She'd just called him out in the most understanding, loving way she could and it was a skill he hoped he could learn from her.

**

-TIME JUMP: 6 MONTHS LATER-

The prison was so full of life and moments of true community and peace. Rick's group was at the core of it all, taking on bigger leadership rolls and having the respect of everyone they brought in and cared for. Rick had taken a huge step back and put several key members of his group in charge as a council, much more of a democracy than they had been in a very long time. When Rick asked Daryl to be a part of it, he had suggested that June should be the one on the council but she knew her brother was much wiser than he gave himself credit for and refused; still being there if he asked for her advice but letting him take lead. It was a healthier version of what their relationship had been and it gave Daryl a sense of duty that he always thrived on.