Final goodbye

"Hey Sam, you seen June?"

"Not since this morning. I thought she was with you."

"I've been with you or helping Daryl all day."

"You could ask Beth. She's been in the cell block with the baby most of the day, if anyone's seen June it would be her."

Dean nodded and went in to talk to Hershel's youngest daughter, Sam close on his heels. Daryl had told him about finding evidence that Merle had taken Michonne and asked him to get June so he could talk to her before heading out. What no one saw coming was June taking matters into her own hands and currently being sat in a car drinking with her oldest brother.

"Beth, you seen June?"

"Um, yeah a few hours ago. She grabbed a set of car keys, gave Judith a kiss and left."

"She say where she was going?"

"No." Dean seemed frustrated by this and Beth felt bad for not knowing. "I would've asked but June's pretty good about taking someone when she leaves, I figured you or Daryl were with her."

Dean was trying not to panic just yet, figuring his girlfriend could've needed the keys for any number of reasons. Maybe there was something in the trunk she needed or maybe she was storing something, no way would she leave without telling someone.

"You happen to know which keys she took?"

"No."

"Alright, I'll go check it out. I'm sure she's around here somewhere."

Sam glanced at his brother but kept his thoughts to himself for now. It was true that June tended to stay close to the prison; between her still healing shoulder and Judith, she was pretty much either in the cell block, the main courtyard, or the guard tower with Dean... BUT... something was telling him that she wouldn't be found within the prison walls. The brothers went out to where the cars were parked and after a quick count, it was clear that not one but two vehicles were missing and this was where Dean went from calm to panicked. He counted and recounted but it didn't change the outcome and his thoughts were now going down the same path as Sam's and it did nothing to calm the pounding of his heart.

"Shit! Shit! Shit! She's gone"

He didn't bother waiting for Sam to respond, running to where Daryl was waiting and hoping her brother would have any answer other than 'she's probably with Merle'. Dean came around the corner like a man possessed, his expression putting Daryl on high alert and while he hoped he wasn't about to be told June was gone, he wasn't all that surprised when Dean broke the news.

"Daryl, I can't find her and two cars are missing."

"Damnit June..." he didn't believe she was part of turning in Michonne, but he knew if June caught her brother taking her that she'd follow after. "I'll find her. She's probably out lookin for Merle."

"Let me come."

"No. You ain't any better at trackin than Rick and I'll be faster alone."

"Daryl"

"Don't worry, I'll find her."

**

Merle and June had nearly finished the bottle, their conversation never steering into serious territory, just two siblings bullshitting the day away. She tossed a piece of garbage at him when he pretended to give a walker a drink and he retaliated by flicking her in the forehead, but while neither of them were talking about the elephant in the room, they both knew things were about to change forever.