The Calm

They'd buried their dead, packed up camp and according to Rick were going to make for the CDC. June didn't really care one way or another about it all, she was only interested in finding a safe place to land. A place they could take a minute and just breathe, to be able to rest without fear of being torn apart in their sleep. She'd helped her brother put the motorcycle in the back of the truck and then went to help pack the rest of the vehicles. The Morales family had decided not to leave with them and while she said a quick goodbye, she didn't have the energy for a tearful send-off, not after last night. They had too much to worry about and she figured they knew what they were doing, sending up a quick prayer for their safety was all she had time for, before grabbing Sophia's bag and putting it in the back of her mom's Cherokee.

"June"

"What can I do for you Dean?"

"Just wonderin if you wanted to ride with me and Sam."

"Oh... I mean sure."

"Not a chance in hell Junie" Daryl cut in, knowing this was what Winchester was going to ask her. Dean had kept his eyes on June all damn morning and this was not something he was going to back off from "She's ridin with me."

"Daryl" she sighed, looking up at him and stopping short when she saw the emotion hidden behind his eyes. Her brother was terrified. He'd lost Merle and nearly lost June, this was simply his way of keeping her safe. "Um... I'm sorry Dean, maybe next time."

Daryl relaxed as soon as she said it and while Dean was confused, he let it go. Daryl hadn't shot him yet but he figured the quickest way to remedy that would be to push June on this.

"I'm gonna hold you to that."

"I'm sure ya will." She smiled up at him, wanting to kiss his handsome face but knowing she wasn't ready for anything like that yet. Instead she opted to hug him and the way he looked at her made her heart feel like a jackhammer in her chest. "Be safe, yeah?"

"Yeah... you too."

"She'll be fine." her brother sounded offended but June didn't mention it, figuring this was the easiest Daryl would be about all this. "Let's go June. They're headin out."

"See ya soon."

**

The trip closer to town had been soul crushing, leaving Jim behind didn't sit well with anyone and when Daryl and June got back inside the truck, she scooted over to be closer to her brother. Jim was what Merle called 'their kind of people', and he was the one person the Dixon men could stand being around. She knew it was his choice and that he was doing this so he didn't turn and attack the rest of them but she hoped if her time came that someone would just put a bullet in her head.

"Daryl..."

"Hmm?"

"Think there's anyone at the CDC or is this all a huge mistake?"

"Second guessin comin with these people?"

"I... I don't know." She admitted. "I wanna hope we'll find safety but what if there's no such thing anymore? What if all we're doin is runnin from the inevitable?"

"Where's this comin from Junie?" he glanced down at her but she was looking straight forward, knowing her eyes would give her away.

"Dunno..."

"Hey" he nudged her lightly but she refused to meet his eyes "Junie look at me." She shook her head and while he could tell she was biting back tears, he needed her to see how serious he was. "June Rose Dixon." That did it, it was hardwired in her to obey whenever he used that tone and he hated what he saw in her blue eyes. "I ain't gonna let nothin happen ta you. Do you understand me?" she nodded but there was still too much hesitation for his liking "I mean it June. I ain't gonna lose you like we lost Merle. Anywhere you go, I'll be right there. It's always been me and you and if we keep it that way, we'll get through this shit."