O Negative

Coming back to the prison without Daryl had brought up a bunch of questions, mostly for June. Carol was upset Daryl had left with Merle but it was his sister staying behind that intrigued her, and everyone else the most. June tried asking her family for time and space but their concern for her was unparalleled. Sam had stayed behind due to lack of space in the car and while he was usually pretty good at reading her, even he was encroaching a little much for her.

After a full day of being hounded by those that meant well, she took to hiding from everyone, including Dean. There were more important things to think about, Maggie and Glenn included, and this focus on her was draining. By nightfall Hershel found her in the furthest cell, away from everyone, holding Daryl's poncho and biting back tears.

"June?"

"Hershel..." she quickly wiped the tears away and got up from the bed, a fake smile plastered on her face. "What can I do for ya?"

"I came to ask ya a favor but if you need space..."

"It's fine, I'm fine... what's the favor?"

"I just need ya to check in on Michonne. If she's concussed, sleepin is dangerous."

"So you need me to be her human alarm clock?"

"Somethin like that. I'm gonna talk ta Rick about the new folks, try ta get him to let them stay or I'd do it myself."

"You want me to talk ta him?"

"I got it..."

"Alright. How long she been out so far?"

"An hour."

"So you need me to..."

"Right now." She nodded and went to walk past him, stopping short when he put his hand on her shoulder. "I know this ain't easy for you June but you made the choice that was right for you, there's not a thing wrong with that."

"But was the right choice for me, the right one all around? I left my brothers Hershel... I heard Carol talkin ta Beth today, talkin about how Daryl had a code and I... I always thought I had the same code but today... Am I a bad person?"

"No. In fact, you're one of the best people I've ever met... including before the world fell."

"I just, this ain't the first time something like this has come up. Before all this, if I had to make the choice between my brothers and anyone else, I always chose my brothers. It was a no brainer but this time was different and here I am..."

"Here ya are. With your chosen family."

"But blood-"

"Family don't end in blood June." Dean had been looking for her but didn't want to interrupt her conversation with Hershel, not until he heard that and Bobby's words flooded his mind.

"Dean... we gotta work on your eavesdropping."

"Come on baby, I'll help you with Michonne."

"I got it, you should go with Hershel."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

It bugged him that she didn't want him with her but took a mental step back and tried to see things from her perspective. She'd just walked away from Daryl, not Merle, Daryl. The brother that literally raised her and protected her from the moment their parents brought her home. He was what Dean was to Sammy but the monsters he was keeping away from June was their father and the constant abuse they suffered at his hands. From where she was standing, this felt like the ultimate betrayal, and she wasn't sure she'd ever forgive herself for it. She didn't blame the group for her decision, they were just as important to her, but there had to of been a better way... if she only knew that Daryl's thoughts were very similar to her own.