Attachments

Lori told him to let her be, the outburst towards Rick had brought out a new (to them) side of her and she warned him that June was more likely to stab him than talk to him. He couldn't do it though, it wasn't in Sam to just leave his friend standing alone, looking for the vehicles that had left half hour ago. She was shifting her weight from one leg to the other, her arms hugging herself, and a blank expression on her face that told him she was all cried out but still hurting. He didn't believe for a second that she would stab him and he'd want someone with him if he were in her shoes so ignoring the warnings, he went over and put his arm over her shoulder.

"They'll be back June."

"When Sam? When will they be back? Even if they get back, will it be in one piece? Are they gonna come back with missing people again?"

"I wish I had the answers but what I can say is, it's going to take them a while to get in and out."

"I'll wait."

"June... it could be hours. You really want to just stand here looking at nothing?"

"If I have to."

She heard him sigh and walk away, it was fine... this was fine. She preferred to be alone and she knew if she kept telling herself that then it would eventually become true, what she wasn't ready for was him coming back with a sandwich and bottle of water for each of them.

"Figured if we're gonna be here awhile that we should have something to eat."

Taking the sandwich handed to her, she glanced up at him and couldn't help but smile back at him. She had learned a few weeks ago that Sam Winchester's smile was pretty damn infectious and even though her heart felt like ground up meat, she could admit that things felt better with him next to her.

"Thank you Sam."

"We should get some chairs... we've got a pretty long wait on our hands."

"Sammy, we ain't gotta stay here."

"We can though."

"Yeah but you're right. They only just left and if Merle got out, they'll have ta look for him"

"If he didn't?"

"Then he's either dead and Daryl will kill Rick or he's alive and Merle will kill Rick."

"Not looking so great for Rick." He joked.

"Yeah well... the Dixon's haven't ever been known for our forgiving nature. Tempers and lots of other shit but not that."

Sam hated it when June lowered her head, looking almost ashamed for having a normal conversation. So wrapping his free arm around her, he gave her a squeeze and silently motioned for her to follow him down to the quarry, figuring she could use some downtime. The two of them picked a spot away from the others, Sam said a quick 'hello' to the ladies working on laundry and smiling at Carol when she mouthed 'thank you'. She had been really worried about June after this latest fight, knowing her reaction came from a place of love for her brother. She'd wanted to do what Sam was doing but Ed had ordered her to 'stay away from that crazy bitch' so she'd backed down but now she was able to relax a bit knowing Sam had her.

"This an ok spot?"

"Yeah... isn't that Amy?" she asked, seeing her helping with the laundry.

"Yeah. She said she's gonna spend some time with Andrea when they're done."

"I should go help 'em."

"I talked to Andrea, she said they've got it today. Think she feels guilty about Merle"

"That weren't her fault."

"No but it's the same reason Dean feels responsible. They both wonder if they could've done more."