Just one big mess

The convoy had a destination in mind, Fort Benning, and now that enough gas had been siphoned, bags were repacked, and a small amount of food had been found and eaten they were ready to leave... almost... June was out of her shock but now the events of the past few days had caught up to her and she felt dead on her feet, more so, she looked it and this time her brother was paying attention.

"Hey Winchester, come 'ere."

Dean was confused for a second when Daryl called him over, positive he must've been talking to Sammy, but Daryl didn't have time for his feet to catch up to his brain and walked over to him instead.

"What's up Daryl?"

"I uh... I need June ta ride with you and your brother. That alright?"

"Of course it is. I woulda asked her already but I assumed you'd want her with you."

"Normally I do but look at her" June was talking to Carol with Sophia hugging her around the middle, but even with the little girl for support she was still a little wobbly. "She ain't in no condition ta ride on the back of that bike. Somethin happens and she falls off... I'd never forgive myself."

It was the need to protect that resonated so much with Dean and even though he'd never say no to helping June, he knew asking for it wasn't easy for Daryl. They had their differences but at the core of who they were, Dean and Daryl had more in common than they knew. Both of them just wanted to protect the most precious thing in the world to them, their siblings.

"Yeah man, not a problem. We've got her."

"Thanks."

The call to roll out was given by Rick and June gave Sophia one last squeeze and then went over to join her brother. She was trying to just remain in an upright position, figuring she could ask Dale about taking a nap in the RV later.

"Ready big brother?"

"Almost"

"Well what's the hold up? Somethin I can help with?"

"Yeah actually, I need ya to ride with Dean."

"What? I thought I'd be ridin with you."

"Later. Right now I want you with the Winchesters."

"But..."

"June, this ain't up for debate."

She didn't truly want to fight him on this, riding with Sam and Dean sounded great, but a part of her was worried Daryl was angry with her. Sure he'd told her he understood what happened, why she froze like she did, but in the back of her mind she couldn't help but wonder if he'd only said that to make her feel better.

"Daryl... is this cause of..." she let the sentence trail off, not wanting to get into this with Dean around in case she was right. "I mean, did I do somethin wrong?"

"What? No." for as tough as she was, she could be a sensitive little thing and he gave her a tight hug before she could spiral. "No, ya ain't done nothin wrong. I just want ya in the Impala for this first bit. We dunno what we'll come up on and I'll feel better if you're inside a car than on the back of the bike."

"OK but if you're that worried, why don't ya tow the damn thing and ride with us?"

"Someone's gotta lead the caravan Junie and we ain't got no way ta tow it..."

"Daryl! June! Let's go!"

The siblings stepped apart and June flipped off the unappointed leader of the group, gaining a laugh from a few people and a head shake from the man himself. She knew they needed to head out before nightfall but the interruption was obnoxious.