Three little words

Winter hit hard and fast forcing the group to find whatever shelter they could, wherever they could find it. There were a couple times they got lucky, came across a house they could bunker down in for a few days, but the threat of walkers was never ending. Rick, Daryl, and Dean had come up with a plan for how to clear an area and it was easy to follow and effective; they went in first with T-dog and cleared the interior while Maggie, Glenn, June and Sammy cleared the exterior. Once the home or storage unit or shed, whatever had 4 walls and a roof, was safe Carl would run in and look for food while the rest made a space to lie down. It worked without fail for months, until one brutal February nearly cost them June.

Lori was now about 6 months pregnant and June had given up more than one meal for her friend, lying about not being hungry or claiming to have already eaten. She'd gone hungry before so she didn't see it as a problem and with how exhausted everyone was, no one questioned her about it.

"June"

"What's up Rick?"

"Daryl went ta hunt but T-dog just found another place for us ta rest for the night. Think you're up for taking your brother's place?"

"Course. Carl gonna take mine on the outside?"

"Yeah, will ya tell him for me?"

"Absolutely. Give me a sec."

Daryl and June had given Rick their unconditional loyalty and it was a big reason the others had fallen into line. The duo had gone from being unapproachable to the heart of the makeshift family and they were trusted even more than Rick at times.

"Everything alright?"

"Fine but Carl, come 'ere sugar."

"What's up?"

"I gotta go with your dad, clear a new house. Need ya ta take my place with Sam."

"I'm on it."

"Thanks... Sammy..."

"I've got him."

She didn't say anything else, sensing that Lori wasn't thrilled about this, and ran back to where Dean was waiting for her. The two of them had only gotten more serious about one another through the winter, but while Sam had thought it would make his brother go crazy protective over her, it had the opposite effect. Dean trusted June without hesitation and didn't question any move she made, having seen too many times how her snap judgements had helped everyone.

"Ready baby?"

"Ready."

"Alright... the house looks like 2 stories and a basement. I want you and Dean ta search the first floor, T-dog and me will take the basement and then we'll all check upstairs."

"Ya sure Rick? I can take the 2nd floor... will help us clear it quicker."

"Mmm... I'm not sure this time June. I tell ya what, check the downstairs with Dean and if ya think it's safe, go ahead and get a jump on the upstairs."

"Got it boss man."

The four of them carefully made their way inside, moving silent and in sync, taking out a few walkers by the door before going into the home. Rick didn't need to repeat the plan, they knew what they had to do and once the downstairs was cleared, June took a chance and went upstairs... without telling Dean. The first and second room were clear, bathroom was clear, closet was clear but the nursery is what caught her off guard.

Finding families wasn't a new experience for them, it was evident that most people didn't see a way out and instead of risking their loved ones, took them out of the running... but this was a first for her... the baby was laying in the blood-soaked crib and the mother was dead beside it, holding on to it's little hand, and the scene rocked June to her core. The baby couldn't have been older than a year and she couldn't imagine the pain the mother felt in the moments leading up to this. It was just one more thing that showed how unfair life could be and it broke her heart.