Chapter 83 - Wine

Hange, Lara, Armin, Mikasa, Onyankopon, Connie, Jean, and Sasha arrived at the restaurant where Niccolo worked. It was certainly a high-standard place. They heard a certain buzz in the distance, meaning that the restaurant seemed full.

One of the waiters, a Marleyan named Chris, asked them to wait while he called Chef Niccolo. After a few minutes, he came out through one of the doors, looking tired from work. However, Niccolo opened a big smile when he spotted Sasha, who promptly went to meet him, giving him a tight hug.

"Hi, Niccolo babe!" she exclaimed, kissing him on the cheek, making him blush. "We came to pay you a visit!"

"W-What happened?" he asked, embarrassed. "Please, don't get me wrong, but we have a lot of customers today."

"Oh, don't worry!" said Hange. "You can get back to work. We'd just like to talk with you when you're done, please."

"Talk?" asked Niccolo suspiciously. He turned to Sasha, "About what?"

She set her jaw and sought Hange and Lara's eyes.

"It's just a few things that are... kinda weird," said Lara, forcing a smile.

"It's about the arrest of the volunteer soldiers," Onyankopon took a step forward, making the rest of the Squad feel tense. "We're hoping you can help."

Niccolo gazed at him with an enigmatic expression.

"Yeah, all right," he finally said. "Please, follow me."

He led them into a large room.

"You can wait here," said Niccolo. He went to the waiter Chris and instructed him to have the subchef continue his work in the kitchen.

"Oh..." Hange gazed at the place, stroking her belly, "What a fancy room."

Everyone got inside and began to inspect the place with curiosity, while Sasha and Niccolo chatted at the door, with silly, passionate smiles on their faces. It was a very luxurious room, with beautiful tapestries and drapes, and well-upholstered chairs. In one corner, there was a cupboard and a cart filled with wines and other drinks.

Armin and Lara walked around the room together, looking closely at everything. Then, he leaned into her ear.

"When all of this is over, I promise I'll bring you here," he whispered, smiling.

Lara felt a tingle in her ear and had to hold herself back together from laughing.

"Armin!" she whispered back, "Is this by any chance the right time to make a date?! And we're not coming here, it must cost an arm and a leg!"

They looked at each other, chuckling, and held her hands, stroking them lightly. Hange approached them.

"I wish Levi would bring me here for dinner!" she said, with a sad pout, "That fella is a cheapskate!"

"So enjoy yourself, Mom," replied Lara, patting her fiancé, "Because Armin just told me he's gonna bring me, you, and Dad here."

Armin's eyes widened.

"Careful, my dear son-in-law," said Hange, with a mischievous smile, "I'm eating for me and Tiny-Human-Bean! Your loss will be double!" They all laughed.

"This place's reserved for the Military Police, isn't it?" asked Connie, walking around.

"Wow! Look at that!" exclaimed Jean, taking a bottle of wine from the drinks cart, which seemed very expensive. "It's the wine all the soldiers were gossiping about! I've heard only higher ranks can get it!"

"Really?!" asked Connie, very excited, heading to Jean, "We're high rank in the Survey Corps, aren't we?!"

"Yup! We deserve a bit of fun, too, right?" replied Jean, happily holding the bottle. "Just a sip or two, huh?"