Chapter 82 - Meeting

The carriage rocked with the speedy gallops of the horses. Lara and Armin were sitting side by side, along with Mikasa. Hange and Onyankopon were sitting opposite them.

Armin and Mikasa had a look of terror in their eyes, staring at a fixed point.

Hange, Lara, and Onyankopon glanced at each other, distressed.

Gently, Lara placed her hand over Armin's, which startled him, making him blink several times. He gazed at his fiancée, who was looking at him with concern.

Armin closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

Hange held her belly protectively. She looked at her daughter with a heavy heart. She thought of Levi and felt a bitter taste in her mouth.

"How are you doing out there, my love?" thought Hange, as she looked out the little window of the carriage door. "Oh, how I wish you were here..." she stroked her belly and the baby moved. She felt a sharp twinge of pain in the area and tried to hide the grimace she had made.

"Everything is fine, Mikasa..." Armin broke the silence, his voice shaking, "I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding..."

He squeezed Lara's hand as if he wanted her to confirm his words. Lara just closed her eyes, pressing them, trying to contain the lump forming in her throat.

"If we talk to Eren, he'll understand!" completed Armin, back to having a wide and fixed gaze.

"I'm not so sure about that, babe..." Lara thought in reply, but remained in silence.

After leaving the carriages, the five of them gathered in a large hall with Connie, Sasha, Jean, and other soldiers from the other Military Divisions, to discuss the severe situation of the moment

After leaving the carriages, the five of them gathered in a large hall with Connie, Sasha, Jean, and other soldiers from the other Military Divisions, to discuss the severe situation of the moment. Even Kiyomi Azumabito was there. Lara was at Hange's side, both in front of Armin and his Squad.

"Floch Foster and another hundred soldiers and guards disappeared," said Nile Dok. "We believe they have deserted and joined Eren Jaëger. They're certainly responsible for the death of Darius Zackly. We decided to name this anti-military faction the Jaëgerists. Hange, do you know what their goal is?"

"They're hoping to bring Zeke and Eren together," she replied. "And they wanna create a military revolution to put Eren on top."

"The murderer of the General Commander is proof of that intention," added Lara. "The trigger for this action must've been the secret plan of the Armed Forces to replace Eren as Founding Titan."

"Yeah," agreed Hange, downcast, "They did everything without telling anyone from the Survey Corps..."

"We knew what could happen if the Survey Corps had found out," said Nile, his voice a little grumpy, "Most of the Jaëgerists were from that Division." He got a serious expression, frowning, "Hange, how will you take this responsibility?!"

"I'll accept any punishment," she said promptly.

Lara felt the tension increasing in that hall. Covertly, she glanced at Armin, who glanced back and they communicated with their eyes: "This is not any good!" She gritted her teeth, feeling her palms sweat.