Chapter 9 - Lara's Plan That (Almost) Worked Out Well

When they arrived at Shiganshina, the moon was already shining up in the sky. As they passed through the gate, still on their horses, it looked like they had entered a horror movie set.

Everything was abandoned: the houses, the streets, the stores... There was no one else in that District anymore. At least, no humans, apart from the soldiers. The silence was disturbing. But worse than that, some grunts could be heard here and there. Those were Titans. They stood motionless for the lack of sunlight, but still made some eerie sounds.

Levi approached Hange on his horse. She had a dark expression, her glasses reflecting the moonlight. Sitting on the saddle with Levi, Lara was curled up, practically hiding herself inside the Captain's green cloak.

Noticing her fear, Levi hugged her, pressing her against his chest, in an instinct of protection. The horses' hooves sounded like bombs in that silence, and you could hear the nervous breathing of a few soldiers.

Everyone tied their horses to the stables that were close to the gate and soon gathered at the Headquarters based in that area of Wall Maria. Erwin summoned the soldiers to a meeting in the refectory.

"Unfortunately, we lost four of our colleagues on the way here. This will affect our performance directly," said Erwin, looking steadily at the soldiers. Everyone looked very tired and sleepy. There were thirty-six soldiers there, apart from Lara.

"Our mission here is quite simple, but has its difficulties," continued Erwin. "We came here only for reconnaissance. We need a complete survey of the District's situation and most importantly, we need to explore the houses and stores, looking for something that can be useful to the population of the other Walls, like clothes, tools or any other material. Who knows, we might even find some preserved food? That would be great. We'll start early tomorrow. You're all dismissed."

"Commander," a dark-haired soldier with short hair raised her hand. "I know we're tired, but wouldn't it be better to keep on the mission now? While the Titans are not so active?"

Erwin thought for a moment and looked down, then replied wearily:

"I see your point, Müller. I also rather do everything as fast as possible. But just by taking a quick look at each of your faces, I can see that the mission would underperform. Which one do you all think it's better? To use a time period where we know we can have some peace to recover our energies with more tranquility, or to try to sleep in the middle of the day, knowing that a Titan can open the roof of this Headquarters at any moment?"

The soldiers glanced at each other, looking tired. Gradually, they nodded in agreement. Müller also nodded, downcast. This was the least worst-case scenario.

"Besides the fact that even today, not everyone will be able to sleep," continued Erwin, "because I need at least ten of you to be on guard, and I include myself on this list. Please, decide among yourselves who will take the first shift and take your positions. Tomorrow I'll give you the rest of the instructions."

The soldiers dispersed, talking among themselves about who would take the first shift, and soon, the refectory was getting empty. Hange and Levi were next to Erwin, with Lara holding Hange's hand.

"You worked very well today," praised Erwin, addressing Hange and Levi. "How are you doing, Lara?" He crouched down to the girl's height, "Were you scared of that Abnormal Titan?"

"I almost threw up, sir," replied Lara, raising her eyebrows, "it was disgusting! I feel sorry for the two soldiers who died trying to protect us... They seemed to be nice..." Lara lowered her head, sadly.

"Yes, they were excellent soldiers," agreed Erwin, gently squeezing Lara's shoulder. "You've done well so far. I hope to count on you for the rest of the mission," he concluded, with an encouraging smile.