Chapter 45 - Jealousy

The sun was setting when the soldiers were ready to leave for the mission. They decided to travel at night, so they could avoid the Titans. They left the HQ early to prepare everything at the gates where they were going to leave. The mission seemed simple: Eren would need to harden his Titan to block both the outer and inner gates of the Shiganshina District. However, the fact that they could face the threats of those three other Titans still made many soldiers feel very anxious.

Before leaving, the population greeted the Survey Corps with confidence, leading all citizens and soldiers to shout a great battle cry. It was beautiful to witness. The last rays of sunlight reflected the Wings of Freedom symbol on their green cloaks. Seeing the whole scene, Lara shivered in emotion.

Then, the Survey Corps left to retake Shiganshina.

It was early hours when the soldiers walked in the darkness, on a trail that led to Shiganshina

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

It was early hours when the soldiers walked in the darkness, on a trail that led to Shiganshina. Only the horses' hooves could be heard and every now and then, a little chat here or there. None of the soldiers were mounted, just holding the reins of their horses.

Lara was walking a little behind her parents, very thoughtful. Levi and Hange glanced back from time to time.

"What do you think she's thinking about?" Hange asked Levi.

"How am I supposed to know what goes on inside a teenager's head?" he replied.

"Stop pretending you don't care. I know you're more curious than I." Hange chuckled.

Levi clicked his tongue and rolled his eyes, as if to say, "Alright... You won!"

"Hey, Lara," he called, looking back. "Baby, wake up!"

Lara shook her head, as if getting out of a trance.

"Sorry, dad..." she replied. "Did you call me?"

"I've been calling you for twenty minutes already," said Levi, then Hange nudged him. "Ouch, Hange! Okay... I've only been calling you for twenty seconds. Come here, please."

Lara got in between them two, her horse behind her.

"Your father and I wanna know what are you so thoughtful about," said Hange, with a curious smile. "You're too quiet..."

"Oh, right..." Lara smiled back. "I was thinking about Armin..."

Levi and Hange looked at each other, eyes wide open.

"What the heck, girl?!" asked Levi, harshly. "You're not old enough to--"

"No, dad!" Lara cut in, laughing. "This isn't what you think it is."

"Yeah, right. And I was born yesterday," he replied, still grumpy. "What do you expect us to think--"

"Let our daughter explain herself, man!" said Hange, interrupting him. "Lara, please go on."