Chapter 18 - Father, Daughter

Lara flew among the trees, just behind Amanda and Muratti. The strange noises seemed to come from the east of the camp, getting louder as they got closer.

"By the sound," said Amanda, her voice mixing with the wind, "it looks like there are at least five Titans!"

"I hope Oliver arrives soon with reinforcements!" exclaimed Muratti, visibly worried.

Lara remained quiet. Although she was flying fast with the ODM gear, her thoughts were far away. Yesterday, after disappearing through the corridor, Lara ran towards the tree where she ate oranges with Levi every afternoon. She sat right where he used to stay, stroking the grass.

Even if sometimes she looked or spoke like an adult, Lara was, still, a child. A child with a broken heart.

From the moment she noticed Levi's reaction to her story, in the Forest of Giant Trees, she felt something for him grow inside her. It was something so strong, that she felt comfortable enough to tell him about her "experience". At first, she saw him as a great friend, but then, when they started spending every day together, Levi acquired a certain behavior that, in Lara's mind, was that of a legitimate Father and not of just a friend. There was no other way to name it.

Like Levi, she also didn't have any good father references in her life. Her own biological father was a terrible example. But, like every child, she was very observant about things around her. When she went downtown, for example, she admired how some parents were so affectionate with their children. She envied the way they played together, were taken care of, and received affection.

When Lara least expected it, Levi was doing these same things to her. Then, she just put two and two together.

Besides that, if we also add the fact that Hange, Levi, and Lara literally behaved like a family (even if unintentionally), the result could only be one: in Lara's mind, it was obvious that Hange was her Mother and Levi was her Father. Any other child, in her place, would also think the same. Lara just "officialized" it, calling them by their proper titles: mom and dad.

The only thing that was different, was that her "parents" didn't kiss or do stuff that Lara observed in some couples in town, like being romantic with each other. But, Lara was already thinking about how she could fix it.

She just couldn't understand why Levi, after showing all the signs of fatherhood, had rejected her. What she felt when she heard Levi say he "was not Lara's father and that he would never be", was more painful than being thrown off the Walls.

He fulfilled all the requirements of a Father, but didn't want to be one?

If he didn't want it, then why had he treated her that way all the past months? He should have treated her like a Tutor, then! Just like many others that taught in the Survey Corps' HQ.

Why would Levi trade his moments alone drinking tea, to play with Lara?

Or why would Levi argue with Hange, insisting that it was his day to take her to walk in the park?

Or why would Levi read bedtime stories to Lara?

Or why would Levi insist on putting his green cloak on Lara whenever the weather went down, while he would shake in cold?

Or why would Levi always ask how was Lara's day, even if he already knew she had spent it with him or Hange?

Or why would Levi let Lara draw on his face when she got bored to draw on the paper?

Or why would Levi, when Hange was not listening, had promised her a puppy?

Why? Why would a mere Tutor do all this and much more?