Chapter 33 - Bad News

Lara woke up very scared the next day. There was a certain screaming coming from the castle's corridors and it was a very familiar voice. She looked across the room and Levi was already standing, next to the bed he slept in, opening the door and looking down the corridor.

Last night, Lara had told her father that she would like to sleep alone in a room. Levi said that she wouldn't make it, for she was much used to sleeping in the company of Hange and would end up waking up in the middle of the night crying with fear, because at night, the castle acquired a somewhat ominous appearance.

But still, she insisted and her father was right. At exactly twenty-three minutes after Levi had tucked her into bed, he heard some knocks on his bedroom door followed by some whimpering coming from Lara, who claimed she swore she saw a Titan under her bed. He once more tucked her into an empty bed across his room and they slept heavily, because they were exhausted from all the cleaning.

"Who's screaming, dad?" asked Lara, rubbing her eyes.

"It's... Hange?" he replied, looking from one side of the corridor to the other, leaning against the door. "It's her voice."

Last night, Hange did come to the castle to talk with Eren for only five minutes, but unfortunately, he ended up showing great interest in learning about the Titans that Hange was studying. Lara tried to warn him through hand signals not to do that, but it was too late. She later found out that her mother had spent the entire night talking to the boy.

Getting out of her bed, Lara began to realize that the screams were calling names. She headed to the door and leaned on Levi to look down the corridor.

"Daddy? Is she screaming our names or is it just me?"

"It seems like she is."

"Should we scream back?"

"No. That would be way too embarrassing."

"I agree with you. But these screams are not normal. I think we shoul—"

Before Lara could finish her sentence, a completely mad and disheveled Hange appeared in the corridor, heading towards them.

"AHHHHHH! I've finally found you two! You won't believe it!" tears ran down her eyes.

"What happened, mom?!" asked Lara, worried.

Hange was so out of her mind that she couldn't speak, only articulate her hands and hop desperately.

"Spit it out, woman!" exclaimed Levi, impatient.

"It's... It's.... It's Sawney and Bean!!!"

"What's up with them?!" asked Levi, becoming more annoyed. "Don't tell me that now a pair of wings grew on their backs."

"Of course not, you silly!!!" replied Hange, even more agitated. "Someone... Someone killed them!!!"

"What?!" exclaimed Lara, starting to feel as anxious as her mother. "I can't believe it! How did that happen?"

Levi was now seeing both Hange and Lara hop desperately.

"I don't know!" answered Hange, staring at her daughter. "Baby, come with me, let's get back to our experiments base!"

Before Levi could say anything about it, Hange grabbed him by his shirt, dragging him down the corridor.

"Hey!" exclaimed Levi, tripping over his own feet. "Let me brush my teeth before we go, at least!"

"No, sir!" replied Hange, annoyed. "My Titans are more important than your oral health!"

 "My Titans are more important than your oral health!"