Chapter 54 - Bombardment

Levi wiped the sweat from his forehead. Finally, that horrible voice stopped talking in his head.

He looked to his right. Several of his fellow soldiers had landed on the surrounding rooftops.

"We're done cleaning up the Titans that were here!" said one of them, tired. "There are only a few small ones left in the front! But, how can we take down the Beast Titan? It doesn't look like he intends to leave his position very soon..."

Levi looked at the furry creature and the row of countless Titans that stood on either side of the Beast Titan.

"Yeah..." replied Levi. "He sure is a coward... But that makes sense. After all, he has no guts."

"You can take a break, Captain," said his colleague. "We'll take down the rest of the small ones." He then turned to the other soldiers. "Let's go!"

Everyone except Levi flew off with their ODM gears, shouting "Understood!"

Levi watched them disappear among the houses ahead, then he looked back, as if trying to see behind the Wall.

"Damn it..." he thought. "This explosion from the Colossal Titan... How are Hange and Lara doing? I really hope they managed to escape in time, as well as their Squads... I've gotta hurry to--"

He could not finish his thought.

For, at this moment, as if in slow motion, he saw pieces of boulders pass very close to his face.

BOOM!!! BOOM!!! BOOM!!!

Levi flinched, covering his face with his arms and the swords in his hands. Countless chunks of boulders were hitting the houses around them in deafening explosions. A boulder hit very close to his feet. When he dared to open his eyes for a second, he couldn't believe what he saw.

The Beast Titan had thrown several pieces of boulders, which hit many houses and buildings in front of him. Dust and brown smoke, mixed with the blood of his fellow comrades, rose through the air.

The worst thing of all was that Levi could hear the screams of his colleagues as they were hit by the powerful volley.

All he could see now was a sea of blood and debris.

His eyes widened and for a moment, he couldn't breathe anymore.

"BOMBARDMENT INCOMING!"

Levi looked up and saw that it was Erwin's voice, watching everything from the top of the Wall.

The Beast Titan was preparing another hail of boulders to throw at the soldiers.

"All troops!" ordered Erwin. "Take cover!"

Just outside the inner gate, there were many of the recruits who had recently joined the Survey Corps, tending to the horses. Everyone was very confused and perplexed by what had suddenly happened.

"Damn it!" exclaimed Levi, astonished, looking at the destruction in front of him. "YOU GUYS!!!"

He flew at rapid speed towards the wreckage, looking for anyone who might be alive. However, when he barely touched the ground, he had to throw himself behind a house, for the Beast Titan had just launched another hail of boulders.

BOOM!!! BOOM!!! BOOM!!!

Levi watched, completely bewildered, the immense dust and smoke that rose, with more blood from his colleagues. Some of them were even thrown into the air.

Erwin also watched that massacre, speechless.

The new recruits were crouched on the ground, wondering what the heck was that all about. They even thought the enemy was using cannons, hundreds of them. The horses were also frightened by so much noise.