Chapter 1 - Seven Days Before

Year 847

The Survey Corps had left Karanes District before sunrise, on the east edge of Wall Rose, in yet another attempt to find solutions to retake Shiganshina. It was a reconnoitering mission, only.

It has been two years since the Colossal Titan destroyed the gate of that District.

The Survey Corps would make the route to the Forest of Giant Trees and rest in a camp prepared in one of the most strategic places in the Forest. Then they would head to Shiganshina.

When they arrived at the camp, the sun was setting over the horizon, its rays streaming through the trees. A few soldiers were lost along the way...

The mission had barely started and everyone was already in low spirits.

Not even Hange was in her usual cheerful mood. After securing her horse in the stable, she walked towards Levi, who was brushing his faithful fella black horse.

Levi glanced sideways at Hange, who gave him a little sad smile.

"Thanks for helping me with that fifteen-meter Titan," said Hange. "I almost lost my leg..."

Levi just shrugged and nodded.

Hange opened her mouth to say something, but decided not to. She turned her back on Levi and walked toward the end of the camp, gazing intently into the forest as if looking for something.

"Just one..." she whispered to herself, her teeth gritted. "Just a measly Titan, even if it's a three-meter one..."

A feeling of anguish got into Hange's chest and she wished to punch something. She had just lost some good colleagues and felt she needed to do something to make up for it, so that their deaths were at least worth it.

"If I can capture a Titan..." she thought, "maybe I can finally discover something useful."

Hange gazed at the dense forest ahead. The sun was almost gone now.

"Forgive me," she whispered, not knowing whether she said it to the dead left behind or to the living in the camp.

And so Hange went out into the forest.

Levi finished brushing his horse and washed his face

Levi finished brushing his horse and washed his face. Some stars were already appearing in the sky.

There were three fires in that camp, each with a group of soldiers. Levi walked to the one in the center, sitting on a log beside Erwin, who was reading some papers.

"How many losses?" asked Levi, gazing deeply into the fire.

"Seven," replied Erwin, sighing.

Levi looked up at the big trees and felt his heart sink in his chest.

"Almost eight," he said, still looking up. "That four-eyes..."

After a while, Erwin lowered his head.

"She's gonna be the reason for my retirement," he said. "I'm seriously thinking about giving Moblit a raise."

Levi sniffed, not knowing if that was a joke or not.

"And she's gonna be the cause of my death," completed Levi, looking around slowly. "By the way, where is she? Hey, Moblit! Where's your boss?"

Hange's assistant, sitting by the other fire, also looked around, confused.

"Sorry, Captain... I don't know," replied Moblit, with a tired look. "The last time I saw her, she was heading towards the stables."

Levi clicked his tongue, irritated. He always had the impression that he needed to keep an eye on that woman... She was like a baby who needed someone constantly watching over her.

Erwin looked up from his paperwork and went on alert. When Hange was around, there was always a certain buzz coming from her direction.

But now he realized that everything seemed rather... Quiet.

A quick glance at Levi already made him get the message.

Hange was gone.

"Hange!" called Levi, making everyone look at him. "Hange!"

"Mike," said Erwin, "any sign of her?"

Mike Zacharias, who had an excellent sense of smell, closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"Nothing," he replied to Erwin.

Levi's heart started beating a little faster than usual. Where was she?!

Suddenly, everyone looked in the same direction. Birds flew off from a certain point in the forest.

A woman's scream had broken from among the Giant Trees.

Everyone stared at each other, startled. And then...

They heard a second scream.

A child's.