Chapter 41 - Mercy

That night, Hange and Levi couldn't sleep.

Lara's harsh words echoed in their minds and weighed heavily on their hearts.

Hange squirmed on the bed, looking at her daughter sleeping heavily in the bed next to her. Lara's face was one of deepest pain and Hange wasn't sure, but she believed her pillow was wet.

In the room Levi was in, he was doing the same thing, but he had no one to look at.

Then, as if they had been programmed with the same code, at the same time, Hange and Levi walked out of their rooms.

Each of them headed to one of the respective bathing rooms in their wings. Hange went for the women's and Levi for the men's.

They each filled their bathtubs and took off their clothes.

Inside the bathtubs, they took their sponges and began to rub their bodies.

Hange rubbed her legs. Levi rubbed his arms. And vice versa.

Even with a great distance separating them, Hange and Levi felt a great affliction rise in their chests.

They started rubbing themselves harder.

And harder. And harder.

They rubbed themselves so much until they were red and bleeding.

They rubbed their chests, as if they wanted to get all the filth out of their hearts.

They wanted to get that dirt out of them, whatever the cost.

Having no more strength in their arms, at the same moment, Hange and Levi dove into their bathtubs.

They were submerged until they could no longer hold their breath in their lungs.

When they emerged from the waters, they had never felt so clean in their lives, and their hearts were lighter than a feather.

They went back to their rooms and they never knew what each of them had done on that night.

The next morning, Lara woke up and saw her parents sitting on Hange's bed, watching her.

"What's going on?" she asked, leaning on one arm, and rubbing her eyes.

Levi and Hange approached and knelt on the edge of their daughter's bed. Lara sat between them, confused.

"What are you doing?" she asked, with a sorrowful look. Her eyes were swollen.

"We came... To apologize to you, baby..." began Hange, with tears in her eyes.

"We were... The worst example of parents you could have had, and... We're very sorry," completed Levi, crestfallen.

Lara looked from one to the other, and slowly, a little smile formed on her lips, her eyes looking tired. She took each of their hands and gently squeezed them.

After a long pause, Lara ran her hand over her face and took a deep breath. She looked deeply into each one's eyes.

"Yes... I forgive you."

With great affection, she wrapped her arms around her parents' necks and whispered:

"If yesterday I sad I felt displeasure for being your daughter, today I say I am the proudest of all."

As if a warmth enfolded them three, they hugged each other very tightly, staying there, together, for a long time.

That morning, mercy triumphed over judgment.

I'd like to invite you to listen to this song ♥