Chapter 68 - Stay

Dear Readers, today's chapter is very special, that's why I chose a song from one of my favorite music groups: "A-ha". I believe that if Armin lived in our modern times, he would definitely listen to them.

The song is called "Crying in the Rain", and you can put it on repeat. Although the song is about crying in the rain and they're at the beach on a sunny day, the lyrics perfectly match Armin's feelings at this moment. I'm gonna leave the lyrics in the final notes, so you can read them ♥ Have a nice reading! 🥰

Lara sat beside her horse, drinking water

Lara sat beside her horse, drinking water. She started looking around, all over the landscape, appreciating it and trying to keep it all in her memory. Then, her eyes landed on the single person who caught her eye: Armin.

The sun was almost touching the line where the water meets the skies, painting everything orange, pink, and purple. He was completely alone, as the other soldiers were in the distance, starting to build a fire and a small camp, so they could all spend the night there. Lara looked in the direction of the camp and saw that Mikasa and Eren were sitting in front of the fire. Mikasa glanced nervously at Eren, as if she wanted to say something, but he ignored her, looking into the fire with a lifeless expression in his eyes.

Lara looked back at Armin, feeling her entire body tingle and butterflies in her stomach. "It's time..." she thought, drawing courage from where she didn't know, standing up and walking towards him.

As she approached Armin, she noticed that he was still holding something in his hands, gazing contemplatively at the horizon, with an expression of serenity and peace. Lara made a mental note to also draw that scene when she gets home.

Feeling the waves covering her feet, Lara went beside him. Her heart was pounding and she clasped her hands at her sides. Armin sensed her presence there and turned to Lara, surprising her, for he was smiling.

For just a second, it felt like nothing had happened between them, and that they had just got back from Shiganshina. Seeing Armin there, surrounded by that pretty sunset, Lara had a completely silly and in-love look on her face, and without meaning to, she let out a sigh. Armin gazed back at the horizon, slowly.

"How are you feeling?" asked Lara, gently.

He remained in silence for a few seconds and then took a deep breath.

"For the first time in a long time, I felt joy today..." his blond hair flew with a soft breeze that passed through them. Lara smiled genuinely, happy he was happy.

Then, Armin turned to her and handed her the thing he had in hands. Curious, Lara inspected the strange object, if she could call it that way.

"What's this?" she asked, looking up at his eyes.