Chapter 13 - Progress

Lara couldn't remember having lived moments as happy as the ones she was experiencing right now

Lara couldn't remember having lived moments as happy as the ones she was experiencing right now. Every new day she woke up and looked at Hange sleeping in funny positions on the other side of the bedroom, it was better than the previous one. Sometimes, she would hear Hange talk about Titans in her sleep.

Hange really lived up to her word. Not long after Lara had joined the Survey Corps, the Squad Leader requested a full investigation into the girl's orphanage. A few days later, those responsible for organizing and taking children outside the Walls were in jail and the soldiers of the Garrison Regiment who covered up the crime were removed from their positions and expelled from the Armed Forces.

As for the situation at the orphanage, Hange filed a lawsuit to increase their assistance, not only for Lara's orphanage, but for all the Districts'. It was kind of impossible to hide the story that there was an orphanage that sent children outside the Walls for lack of money. Therefore, the cause was easily won and soon, all orphanages within the Walls were forced to follow a series of regulations, such as improvements in education and food. One day, while walking around downtown with Levi and Hange on a Sunday, Lara spotted some of her old friends from the orphanage, all looking much healthier and mostly, happier.

Lara's new life routine was quite simple, but very hectic. In the morning, she stayed at the lab with Hange and her assistants, and in the afternoon, with Levi in the training camps, with other soldiers. At night, it varied according to the availability of each one of her tutors, for once in a while, Hange had to stay late at the lab and Levi had meetings with some of his subordinate soldiers.

Now that Lara had a more balanced diet, her body began to take on the shape of a relatively nourished child, and now she was no longer so skinny. Every week, Hange would measure her height in the door frame to see how much she had grown.

Lara's growth wasn't fast though, probably due to the fact she had spent most of her life with a serious lack of vitamins, but any advance was already the cause for a celebration in the bedroom, like with a pillow fight, where, in a certain occasion, when Levi saw the bedroom door opened and shoutings coming from inside, he walked in, unintentionally being hit in the face by a pillow swung by Hange. She and Lara stared at Levi, not sure if they should be scared or not. But then, he slowly closed the door, grabbed a pillow, and joined in the fun. It all ended with Levi lying on the floor, and the girls piling up on him, leaving humanity's strongest soldier completely breathless and redder than a tomato.

To make the routine easier, Hange and Levi agreed it would be better for the three of them to at least have lunch together every day, so they could exchange their turns in taking care of the child. At first, Lara didn't want to eat some vegetables, like broccoli and zucchini. But, Levi's stern look made her swallow it all quickly.

Hange came to realize that although Lara could read and write, it was all very poorly. She read books with difficulty and when Hange asked her to write something down, there were many spelling mistakes. That's why at first, Hange focused on improving these skills, and only after noticing a good progress, she started to teach her other subjects such as Human, Biological, and other Exact sciences.