Chapter 12 - New Life

After a lot of suffering, here is a happy chapter for you! At the moment I was writing, it came to my mind the song "Two Shadows", from the wonderful anime "Clannad". So, if you want to make your reading experience even better, when I signalize "PLAY", put on the music to make everything more exciting! Have a good reading!

 So, if you want to make your reading experience even better, when I signalize "PLAY", put on the music to make everything more exciting! Have a good reading!

Lara was sitting on a bench outside Commander Erwin Smith's office. She had just heard Hange and Levi shout a resounding "WHAT?!" from inside the room, and she also could have sworn she had heard that Erwin had allowed her to join the Survey Corps without having to wait for another two years.

Mike Zacharias was standing beside her, on guard. He had a serious expression on his face, but when he also heard Hange and Levi's exclamation, he glanced at Lara and saw that she gave a mischievous smile, thinking he wasn't looking. Mike chuckled inwardly. He liked the girl. She was fun, friendly, and not at all annoying. She did typical children's things, like suddenly screaming sometimes, but it didn't bother him.

In fact, they even got along really well in Shiganshina, having a moment when he piggybacked her through the halls, placing her on his shoulders. Lara simply loved it, because he was almost two-meter tall. Besides, of course, Mike was impressed with the fact that she was brave and had already managed to kill two Titans. That, for sure, wasn't for everyone.

Inside Erwin's office, with puzzled expressions, Hange and Levi approached the Commander's desk.

"What do you expect from us?" asked Levi, frowning. "That Hange and I adopt the girl?"

Hange abruptly turned to Levi, feeling her heart pound and a shiver down her spine. Erwin just chuckled and replied:

"Not yet."

Levi had his mouth agape.

"What do you mean?!" he asked, "'not ye–'"

"This is what I expect from you both," Erwin cut it short, staring firmly at his friends in front of him, "Levi, from what you've told us about Lara back in Shiganshina, she does have a certain education, knows how to read and write, but no knowledge beyond the basics, right?"

"Yes," replied Levi, still looking serious.

"Okay," continued Erwin, "I had a lot of time to think in Shiganshina, and on the way back here. And, I came to the following conclusion: Lara has great potential, and if it is well explored, it can yield excellent results. I'm not joking. A child at that age, especially in the conditions she was raised in, showing such braveness..." Erwin let out air through his mouth and widened his eyes, "She killed two Titans, guys! Two! I have soldiers who have never even killed one and have been here for a long time. Now, pay close attention. If we know how to teach her to develop her physical and mental capacity, I'm sure I won't be mistaken that she really will become the next humanity's strongest soldier."

Silence fell over the three of them and Hange looked worriedly at Levi, who just kept staring at Erwin in a serious way.

"And what's your brilliant plan?" asked Hange, wearily.