Chapter 41: Niceties

Thank you guys so much for your support since the beginning. Thank you for still reading my stories (lol). What happened to be a hobby became something tangible - like a published book which is super crazy to me. Even if I'm not super rich or famous, it's still crazy.

 I always did want Vampire Prince to be turned into a book, but as of now I have no intention of making any of the other stories on here published  unless something changes.

Enjoy and please show your support to motivate me - yes, I am that shallow. People commenting on this makes me feel guilty because they say how much they're waiting, so it works. It works.

.

.

.

Callum was going to kill Brian.

I recognized the murderous intent in that handsome face. Eyes filled with icy hatred as he glared at Brian. 

In a flash, Callum was dragging Brian out of the ice cream parlor. I guess Callum realized he couldn't kill Brian inside because they were too many witnesses.

Lainey came beside me as I helplessly watched, in between yelling at Callum to stop and wanting to see what Callum would do. "What's he going to do?!" Lainey whispered as I rushed to Callum. I couldn't let Callum murder someone because of me. Although, the jealousy was unwarranted because Brian was barely a boyfriend.  Brian was so stupid to say that in front of my mate. He dug his own grave on that one. Saying lies like that.

As Callum hit the exit doors,  he threw Brian out in the parking lot, and that's when I saw the swirls of black magic around Callum's hands.

Okay, he was so going to kill him. 

"Callum!" I exclaimed, running to him, touching his shoulders, forcing him to look at me. "It's okay, he's obviously not my-" I couldn't even say it. There was a deep rumbling growl from Callum, at the mere thought of it, so I didn't finish my sentence. I rubbed his shoulders to calm him a little. I glanced at Brian's sorry self, laying on the ground.

He tried to get up, rubbing his cheek, looking like there was going to be a large bruise. Callum made sure to throw him hard. Brian squealed, "Are you crazy? Freya-"

"Don't say her name," Callum interrupted, taking a threatening step forward. Brian flinched at the movement. Callum's voice sharpened, "Don't you dare say her name." The swirls of black magic came back, and Brian swallowed thickly, shaking a little. Now, he looked petrified. 

Finally, Callum turned his full attention to me. "Do you know him?" he asked me coolly. Even though his voice was calm, there was a tremor underneath him. I had forgotten about his werewolf side. Claws were halfway out - from pure emotion and anger. Shoot. He was about to shift.

I've never seen him lose his cool. Ever. I didn't even think he could lose his cool. All it took was for Brian to come in, touch me and call me his boyfriend. Guilt gnawed on me because deep down, I felt it was my fault he was like this.

"Let's talk about this somewhere else," I said, grabbing Callum's arm to get him away from Brian. The more distance, the better. Acting quick would prevent Callum from seconds away from wanting to kill Brian. 

Callum's focus was on me, as I guided him away. 

Lainey was helping Brian up, and I shot her a look. One that told her to leave Brian on the ground until we leave. "Freya, we need to talk," Lainey said, hesitating as she glanced over at Callum.

"Not now," I gritted my teeth, giving her one last look before rushing into the car.

XXXX

The whole car ride, Callum didn't say a word. That wasn't saying much because Callum didn't talk a lot in the first place, but his mood was angry. Thankfully, it didn't seem at me, but at Brian. I bit my lip, wondering how I could explain to Callum of it all.

Which meant I had to tell him the truth. Something I didn't even tell my parents about. Edith knew only a bit, but not all of it.

Before we got to Haven's Way, I stopped the car to a nearby park that was sort of an extension to Haven's Way to get some privacy. The car still kept running, but I turned to him, placing my hand over his. It was the time for honesty and an open heart.  "Callum, please just have an open mind about this. I mean, sure we probably have had a history."

"I haven't. No one had ever interested me until you came along," Callum responded softly.

"You have to understand that it was a lapse of judgement on my part. I would have told you - really, I would have, but it's been too crazy. I didn't even remember you when you came, then I did, but then you had to meet my family. It's just been a whirlwind of emotions and things, that was the last person I would have ever thought of. In fact, I forgot he even existed until today."

Callum's amber eyes burned brightly. "So he was your boyfriend."

I gaped at him, blinking at him before I shook my head. I sighed deeply. "Of course out of all of that, you focused on one thing. Well, you got was your answer. Yes, I do know him. But no, it wasn't even a relationship if you would call it that."

"How long were you guys together?"

"Barely a week."

This made Callum almost laugh, which made me tap his hand. I moved to retract my hand, but Callum held it tightly. "What is it? You're trembling."

I was. I was nervous to tell him about the biggest shame ever.

Aunt Ava had always been proud of West for never getting kicked out of school. West actually fought like everyday almost. And he never had gotten himself into that much trouble. Even Dad reprimanded West on times where he would get into fights. West never crossed that line of getting kicked out of school. No one could get angry at him.

Me? I caused a fire that burned my whole dorm down. Getting kicked out in the process. 

"Nobody knows about this - not even my parents. Actually, thinking about it now it's the reason why I even came across your pack."

Callum watched me curiously. He wouldn't judge me. I know he wouldn't. Telling him would lift this burden off my shoulders for a bit. "Whatever it is, you can tell me," Callum reassured me, bringing our intertwined hands to his lips. Kissing each knuckle.

"I got kicked out of my school."

This caused Callum to pause. Genuinely, he looked shocked. "What?"

I wish I could take a picture of his handsome features as he looked concerned for me. This was probably the most hilarious facial expression that he had, and I couldn't capture the moment with a photo.

Taking a deep breathe, I told him, "You'd still love me no matter what I tell you?"

"Nothing you tell me will not make me proud that I have you as a mate," Callum tucked a stray piece of hair behind my ear. His heated gaze made me warm and confident. A pile of mush is what he made me.

So, I recounted to him about what transpired. Telling him about how my best friend was Lainey. Finding her and Brian together. Starting the fire. Getting in trouble with the headmaster. Her putting the bracelets on me.

"Why would she do such a thing?" Callum murmured, contemplative. "Is that standard protocol for her students that kicked out?"

"Lainey doesn't even really know who I am, much less the head master. I went into the school with a false identity and family," I replied, "so I canceled out the enemies of my dad or grandfather."

"That doesn't make any sense then why they would do that to you. I believe there is one way to find out." Callum said the words I was too afraid to say, "We have to go back to your school."

I love that he says we because it made me not feel so alone in this.