Chapter 40: Stryder Men (Part II)

This chapter is one of my favorites. Hope you guys like.

More support = quicker update. Vote. Comment. Let me know your thoughts. 

.

.

.

Callum POV

Six Stryder men sat down in the huge Council Chambers before him.

Callum greeted them, quietly - in a way he only knew. Julian had taught him basic manners as common decency. From Julian's actions, Callum had learned everything. 

Damien Stryder. King of Vampires, the patriarch of the family, and the grandfather of his mate. In the room, he was the one who sparked conversation while carefully watching Callum in a way that made him feel comfortable. Much like a grandfather would. Callum wondered for a moment what Damien thought of him.

It was the vampire sitting across from him that Callum truly wanted to know, and to impress. 

Zeke Stryder. Prince of Vampires, soon to be King. Freya's protective father. Not once did Zeke look at Callum, almost looking bored in the meeting. This made Callum uneasy. After what Callum had seen in his life, he was never afraid of anything. He told Freya that he wasn't scared, and he wasn't lying to make her feel better. But he knew that he had to leave a good impression on Freya's family because she loved them.

Next to him was the werewolf.

Lance Stryder, Alpha of Noctis Luna and Freya's uncle. Lance's quietness wasn't as loud as Zeke's nor was it dismissive. He was also conversing with Callum, like Damien. 

West Stryder, son of Lance, currently at odds with Freya. Even though West was fighting with Freya, Callum knew West cared deeply about his cousin, taking on the role of older brother. From the first moment he stepped into the room, Callum felt West's eyes on him. Sizing him up like he would fight him if needed. Straightening his back, Callum didn't want to fight anyone. Not if he didn't have to.

Wyatt Stryder, son of Lance and the younger twin. Probably the kindest one out of all of them besides Erico. He was the first one to hug him, to greet him into the family. Patted him on the back and joke.

Erico Stryder. The youngest of the entire Stryders. One would think he would act spoiled - which Callum knew he was the most spoiled as much as Freya was - but he was a little awkward, biting his lip.

Being the first one to talk.

"What do you guys even need to know about Callum?" Erico asked, starting the conversation. "He saved Freya's life, figured out she's his mate, and came after her all the way here. Freya had her magic blocked out so he couldn't tell until later. He's my friend too."

Callum was grateful for Erico, who gave him a nod, scrolling down his phone.

Damien Stryder tilted his head, inspecting Callum. "We thank you for saving Freya. What about your family?"

Callum wouldn't pull any punches. He had to be honest with them to get any amount of respect. It was a hard truth. One he could never deny.

But it hurt anytime he would say it. He remembered bits and pieces of them. How his parents loved him dearly. His older sister being a bright light, like sunshine. Julian would always tell him that his older sister was the sun. Every waking second, he felt his family's love for him. Love he didn't think he deserved. 

How could he have not protected them?

"They're dead. I watched them get murdered when I was young."