Chapter 38: Woken Thoughts

To the person I told Zeke was going to be in this chapter, sorry I lied. Next one!

Thanks for everyone's kind words and my impostor syndrome about my writing. Thanks for believing in me and reading this story.

Short chapter, but it's an update...ahaha

.

.

.

Nothing made sense.

Bleary-eyed, I looked up as he was sitting on the clinic chair next to my bed. My heart did a lurch at the sight of him. A rush of emotions for him surging forward. 

Callum.

As if feeling my eyes on him, he looked up from the book he was reading and blinked in surprise. "Freya?" there was an urgency in his voice. Concern and something else. Hesitation.

Failing at trying not to get up too quickly, Callum helped me sit up as we both just stared at each other. I couldn't say anything right now to him. Words wouldn't mean anything on how I was feeling being with him right at this moment. The truth between us.

 He's my mate. The whole time in the Hidden Pack, he was my mate. Despite not knowing, we fell in love with each other. True soul mates. 

My silence caused him to clear his throat. "I should get your mom, she's been worried too." He left the room in a hurry, and I lifted my blanket, to see if the anklets were truly gone. Nothing was there. Bare. Freeing.

I closed my eyes briefly, knowing I had to thank Callum profusely. This was his second time getting that cursed jewelry off of me. It had to be hard for him to have done it again. Especially since the first time it took a lot of convincing for him.

"How are you feeling?" Mom rushed to my side followed by Edith. Mom tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, kissing my head. Callum hung to the back, giving us space. Edith bought a glass of lemon water and a bowl of strawberries. She didn't have to, but she did. 

"Better," I said, taking a sip of the water after thanking Edith for the strawberries. 

"You remember everything?" Mom asked, searching my face.  Do you remember Callum? was the silent question.

My eyes clashed with Callum's, and I smiled at him. I couldn't help it. The fact that he's my mate. I was freaking out about that part mostly right now. Besides the overwhelming headache I have. "Yeah I remember everything."

I could feel the entire room exhale in relief. 

My head started throbbing, and I winced in pain. Mom fussed at me. "You should rest some more before you talk. Callum did such an amazing job at healing you too, incredible skill he has." After that horrible pain I had to go through to get the anklets out. It was like getting something permanent off of you - probably what it felt like getting a tattoo removal. But worse.

I shook my head, "No I need to know about how I got here without my memories and what happened..."

"I left you just for a short time before I felt it. Our mate bond. When I got back to you, your presence was gone again. Disappearing," Callum explained.

Callum's lips lifted for a millisecond before he turned serious. "What happened after you were passed out? I left you alone for only a short moment before I felt our mate bond. When I got to you, your presence was just...gone." The way he said it, made my heart break.